1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In the interests of "science"...

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Benchista, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

...and under the influence of alcohol, I've got a 124G on the way. So I'll have to have a day off in a bit to do a little "testing". Then we'll see which one I sell!

Nick BSRIPN

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Great stuff - I'm all for proper testing! Do please be sure to include a 'Flex in the test though - not because it might be comparable, but just so we can all see how much better the Xenotar is than a Tessar/Yashinon. :)

Huw Evans.
    www.huwevans.freeuk.com

3. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Rob will be pleased!

Keep up the "research" there inflatable! You'll soon have as many cameras as Geoff..........................if you're not careful! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've been meaning to have a "proper" go at testing my various 'Flexes anyway, so my intention is to do the lot, and this time on B&W for two reasons: one, cost! and two, so there is no colour bias. Probably Pan F, as that should separate the men from the boys.
    So I'm planning effectively two test groups - 4 element lenses (Yashinon, Xenar and Tessar) and more element (Xenotar f3.5 5 and 6 element, Planar f3.5 6 element, and Xenotar f2.8).
    The methodology I intend to apply is as follows:
    Camera on tripod
    Test target: sheet of newspaper stuck to the back of my house
    Shots at f3.5 (and f2.8 where appropriate), f8 and f16, both centre and edge
    Scanned (no darkroom!) at 3200 spi, then enlarged as necessary. And I'll have to work out where is the best place to post results for those interested.

Any comments, apart from the fact that it'll be pretty dull?/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif
    It still won't be scientific, but it'll be of interest to me, anyway!

Nick BSRIPN

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Re: Rob will be pleased!

Er, yes, you're right, because a boxed OM1n arrived at 7.00a.m. this morning, and there's an OM10 on the way - I really shouldn't eBay pissed!

Nick BSRIPN

6. BigWill

"Any comments, apart from the fact that it'll be pretty dull?"............................Well you could brighten it up a bit by using a poster of Jeri Ryan instead of a sheet of newspaper as a test target!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You think I would soil any of my precious lenses with that filth?

Nick BSRIPN

8. BigWill

This new OM1n......................is it a black one? Please say it's a black one and that you'll bequeath it to me in your will. Can we have a digital piccie of it up here to peruse?

Big(OM1n lover!)Will

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, I'm afraid it's a chrome one. Seems very nice, though. It's still got the original guarantee paperwork and all - although it has no shoe.

Nick BSRIPN

10. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

we talking Rob's camera here?

[​IMG]

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well, not actually his camera, but a Yashicamat 124G, yes. As used by Will, David, Huw and others here (I think).

Nick BSRIPN

12. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

Re: Rob will be pleased!

How true!

On the other hand, I went out yesterday and took some shots using the Maco750 film in the M6. The problem is that my legs ache. I made my short week even shorter. /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Diane /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

13. Larry Shone

Will uses a 124G? Now I have to get one!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

[​IMG]

14. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

If you want to make some in-camera duplicate negatives and send them to me I'd be very happy to produce some optical enlargements for comparison purposes - let me know if you're interested.

Huw Evans.
    www.huwevans.freeuk.com

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well as I'm currently up to 6 shots per camera, doubling up wouldn't increase my costs, so it sounds like an excellent idea - thanks, Huw. I just need to get some film, and sort out a day I can have off i.e. that will be kid-free!

Nick BSRIPN

16. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

17. Larry Shone

Re: In the interests of buying!

science my armpit!you just cant resist buying cameras can you?/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

[​IMG]

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Re: In the interests of buying!

You got me! Although my little discussion with Huw did get me thinking - and then eBay had both a Rolleicord and a Yashicamat at very tempting prices. I don't intend to keep both, but with a little luck, either should fetch enough to pay for both. Now I've just had a RUG message from someone who's just bought an Autocord - now that I would like!

Nick BSRIPN

19. BigWill

You know it makes sense! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

20. BigWill

now if it had been black..............

..........I would have killed for it! Still, chrome will do at a pinch. Can't wait for you and Huw to snuff it cause then I'll inherit an OM1N and an FM3A! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill