1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Improved version of G1-X available?

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Rupert49, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

I've owned my G1-X since June 2013 and it's become my go anywhere camera, especially on holiday, as I find lugging a bag around with my 5DIII and a selection of lenses, rather more than is comfortable these days!

I've been wondering recently if there's been any significant upgrade/improvement to this great little compact camera in the last few years. If I do replace/upgrade my G1-X I'd like to stay with Canon, but I've seen some of the more recent articles relating to the current range and it seems that although certain features might have improved, others have been lost.

I've always liked an eye level viewfinder (I don't have a phone camera, so I've not joined the hordes of those who habitually take pictures holding it at arms length), I think the sensor is a good size and the quality of the raw files is really good. The ISO range meets most requirements, even at high settings the grain isn't too bad. I'd like a bit longer zoom, but then we can't have everything.

In a nutshell then, is there a 'better' Canon compact than the G1-X, or did they peak when they produced that camera?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

they are on version 5 mk ii I think.

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

there's the G1 x mk ii and mk iii
    The mk iii has an EVF and is equipped with an APSc sensor