1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Image Resizing

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Watty, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Watty

Watty Active Member

Hi,

I would like to put a few more recent images on the forum, but I’m restricted to 1mb image size for uploading. The two I’ve tried to upload are much bigger than that.

What’s the easiest way to reduce 48mb down to 1mb. Is there a free app for the iPad?

Thanks.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Look at the guidance in Appraisals, it used to give links to on-line tools. Most image editors can perform resizing, usually under an export dialogue, not “save as”. There are usually several options. The one to use is output in pixels, longest side 800. That will take file size down to 300 kb or so without extra compression. There is no point keeping lots of pixels and opting for high compression to get the file size down, too much compression will kill the photo and the browser will throw away the pixels anyway to make the picture fit the window.

3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I don't know about new-fangled things like iPads and Apps, but if have the images saved on a Windows PC there should be some basic picture editing software for you to use.

Using Windows, create a copy of your JPG image, and open it with a Windows programme called 'Paint'. (Right click on the image and select 'Open with' and look for 'Paint'.)
    When 'Paint' has started and the image is displayed, click on the 'Home' tab at top left and there is a resize option. If you use this you should get a choice of percentage or pixels - select pixels and enter 800 in the larger box (the longer side of the image).
    Then click on the 'File' tab and take the 'Save' option.

Note that I have suggested working on a copy - you don't have to do this, as long as you remember to use the alternative 'Save as' option and give the new version a name. If all this is new to you, I'd suggest working with a copy that you could rename as the original with '800' added to the end of the name (for example). There may be some basic editing tools in Paint too (brightness, contrast, etc.),
    but I've not used it since buying 'Photoshop Elements 7' in 2009. As long as you work with a copy of the original, you can experiment and see what you can do. If you accidently save a version that you have completely screwed up (technical term), you will still have the original.

Have fun.

4. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I use a program called Arcsoft Photo Studio, which came with my first digital camera in 2005 to resize images - and yes, it works with Windows 10.

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

We also have our favourite editors and I have several on my machine. For basic editing my favourite is FastStone, it's a free download and very intuitive

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

If you use an Apple computer, Preview is built in and can do resizing among other things.

7. Watty

Watty Active Member

Thanks for all your replies, I just need a bit of free time to experiment !

RogerMac likes this.
  8. Chester AP

It's probably not safe to go out anywhere busy during school holidays (even before Covid-19), and the TV schedules appear to be full of soaps and the Olympic games, so experimenting with your pictures is an alternative way to use any spare time.

There are some free picture editing programmes available to download and use on a PC - I recall that AP had an article about this a few months ago and one reviewed was called 'Gimp'. You will find it by searching for 'Gimp photo editor', but I can't comment on it because I've never used it. Photo editing software like this should offer basic adjustments (brightness, contrast, colour, etc.), as well as resizing, but also things like image rotation (for those annoying sloping horizons on beach scenes) and perhaps some adjustments for unwanted image distortion. If it's free, you have nothing to lose by trying it - but be careful and always work with a copy of the original image file.

RogerMac likes this.
  9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You should give it a go!

10. Chester AP

I purchased Photoshop Elements 7 in 2009 and it continues to what I want (and a lot more), so I've never explored free stuff.
    PE7 runs perfectly on a Window 10 PC, and I have it on a disc.

11. Watty

Watty Active Member

Oh don’t I know how unsafe the school holidays are, unfortunately I’m paid to go out during them and they’re taking up a good deal of my time. As far as tv is concerned, I sometimes wonder why my wife and I pay a licence fee, we barely have time to switch it on :)

12. Chester AP

At job interviews, I used to tell the interviewer that (apart from unplanned funerals) I would never want time off in school holidays. I know for certain that on one occasion it was why I got the job. The daily commute was so much less tedious (and shorter) in school holidays too.

Perhaps once the school holidays are over, and the evenings are again dark and depressing, preparing one of your favourite summer pictures for printing and framing will temp you to find out more about getting the best from your shots. A big framed print of a decent picture looks great on a wall.

13. Watty

Watty Active Member

We think along the same lines, our holidays have been booked since January…. for mid September, after the schools go back. Then it’s NW Scotland with campervan, kayaks and camera.

14. Chester AP

Let all the summer visitors enjoy the midges (I have unpleasant childhood memories of being there in August).
    I can't think of anywhere in the UK I would want to go on holiday in July or August.