1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Image.Canon

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Charles2020, May 3, 2020.

1. Charles2020

Charles2020 New Member

Am I missing something but image.canon seems to be a backward step from the Image Gateway it has replaced, in fact I would say it's rubbish. With Gateway you could easily upload images using whatever WiFi connection was available, now you can't, you're forced to use your phone. On the iPad app the images only occupy 70% of the screen. On the iPad and on the PC you can't see Albums, on the Android app you can see Albums. With Gateway I had 5 regional accounts, they're now gone along with all the images. Absolute disgraceful replacement for Gateway, junk!

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I’ve never used either so can’t help. Personally I’d be wary of using online hosting platforms for archiving images. There is no assurance that they will be around in the future. Same goes for the commercial services though I think companies selling secure cloud storage (e.g. microsoft) are reasonably safe. I forget the name but there was one photohosting service that went bust a few years ago and even big ones like Flickr have question marks over their future. If you want images easily accessible from multiple devices the best thing is to publish low resolution copies and keep the originals safe and safely backed up. Most people using this forum will keep 3 independent (on different media) versions of their images.

3. Charles2020

Charles2020 New Member

Hi Pete, it did occur to me that when the hosting service goes bust and you ask where your images are you get the reply "Probably in a skip in Seattle." Having said that one company told me if they did go bust they should be able to give enough notice to enable me to download everything.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That's the hope! The problem is that uploading a bit at a time is easy and quick, but if you want to get 20 GB back at the same time as thousands of others then it isn't so easy.