1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Im surprised by the lack of posts about the death of the Black Panther actor

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

2. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

He didn’t go public about his illness, so this came as being a bit of a shock, especially as he was fairly young too.

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

My son came and told me this morning but as I have never watched any of the films and had never heard of him it wouldn't have occurred to me to post here about it. It is very sad though. He was no age at all.

Zou likes this.
  4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Ditto, except your son didn't tell me.

Geren likes this.
  5. Stephen Rundle

Hahaha

6. Stephen Rundle

Appears he knew he was losing his battle when he was filming the Black Panther :(

Chadwick Aaron Boseman was an American actor.

His roles included important and iconic African-American historical figures such as Jackie Robinson in 42 (2013), James Brown in Get on Up (2014), and Thurgood Marshall in Marshall (2017).

His role as the superhero Black Panther in the Marvel Cinematic Universe films, including the title role in Black Panther (2018) made him an international star. He won a NAACP Image Award and a Screen Actors Guild Award for his performance in Black Panther.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Likewise, a very sad situation but I have to admit that my first thought was "who was he, why should I have heard of him?". Celebrity is in the eye of the beholder. Apparently Roz Hanby was transferred to Concorde because the passengers were more famous than she was. On lesser aircraft she was the celebrity. This young man wasn't a celebrity in this house.

8. Stephen Rundle

I have to agree with you

You only have to be on some third rate crap tv program these days to be a "star" or "celebrity", some brainless can't sing appears on TV and they are a celeb, thousands of volunteers, doctors, nurses, etc go unknown

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Sadly true. It has always been the most important people who get the least recognition. Who ever heard the name of the person that empties aircraft toilets? If they stop working a flight will divert very quickly! We don't recognise what is important until it isn't there.

10. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I had never heard of him until Lewis Hamilton dedicated his Spa track record and pole-position lap to him yesterday, and a black panther was always Panthera Pardus of the family Felidae, and could be either a leopard or a jaguar, depending on the nature of the melanism.

11. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Same here, l rarely watch films nor follow popular culture so it’s not on my radar X Don

12. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I'm a BIG Marvel fan, but didn't hear about it till this morning as I didn't see any TV yesterday and wasn't online much either.

Very sad to hear the news, especially when someone so young.

13. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

Very sad but I like it seems many other had never heard of him or Black Panther.... Might be an age thing.

14. Stephen Rundle

Just like many have not heard of Fred Astaire, Tommy Cooper, Max Bygraves

15. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Yes, very sad indeed, as it always is to find someone cut down in their prime, but this American Marvel stuff isn't on my agenda either. I actually have always found the concept of so called American Superheros quite insulting to intelligence, especially when you consider they are a root product out of the American 1930's depression era and were intended as a distraction. for Americans. Currently this Marvel obsession is destroying Hollywood and making the cinema something I'd not even consider attending. I'd sooner watch and enjoy Shaun The Sheep far more than any of this American crap.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Who?

17. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I remember Tommy Cooper and Fred Astaire only post death because I was born in 1983.

18. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I hadn't realised that Tommy Cooper died so long ago. I know they constantly re-run "the life 0f" but it doesn't seem very long ago.

19. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I remember watching the show on TV when he died. I said to my mum that I didn’t think it was part of the act. I was clearly right.

retrofit and Mark101 like this.
  20. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Me too.... The 2014 ITV Film of his life with David Threfall and Amanda Redman called 'Not Like that, Like This'' was very good.