1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm finally moving to Win 10

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by John Farrell, Jan 17, 2020.

1. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I've been using Windows 7 for 10 years, but with support ending (and the computer being 10 years old) I've dug into the pocket, and bought a new desktop, running Windows 10. I doubt, though, that the software I use for photo manipulation (an ancient thing called Arcsoft Photo Studio, that came with a Canon digital I bought in 2005) will work with Win 10. I need to replace this - very cheaply, or for free. Is GIMP any good?

I also have to get my Canon film scanner working with Win 10.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

GIMP is free so it costs nowt to try it. I just pay these days for Lightroom with Photoshop on the computer but unused.

Windows and scanners can be problematic. I pull my hair out trying to get my PC to talk to my scanner while my Mac works just fine. Try vuescan. The demo is free and it costs not a lot.

The main thing with Win 10 (and it’s precursor Win 8.1) is beware of the monthly updates. There is nothing more annoying than being caught by an update installing when you need the computer. Mine updated yesterday. It’s always the same day of the month.

John Farrell likes this.
  3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Another vote for Vuescan.

I was running W7 and despite me always clicking NOT to load W10 it did so anyway (quite a number of people had the same occur). I lost patience with it and ended up buying an iMac, which took a while to become accustomed to, I still have the Windows 10 machine but I only use it if I need to retrieve something from it. I found the constant updates and deleting of printer drivers absolutely infuriating, along with a couple of other things.

It's strange in a way how various people look at computers, one friend was in a panic as support for W7 was ending and moved to W10 (which he isn't getting on all that well with thus far) and I know two who are still running XP on desperately slow machines, one doesn't even have an anti-virus programme. Both of the latter just happily plough on with utterly no intention to change, despite all the issues with speed, browsers, security etc!

NickM likes this.
  4. John Farrell

I have a laptop running Win 10 - I have no problems with it. I wouldn't attempt to upgrade my old machine - too old and slow, and only 32 bit. I prefer a desktop for most things.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I prefer a desktop too. I have a netbook which runs XP, I don't even know where it is, I have an Android tablet that I use occasionally but use either the iMac or Smartphone mostly.

6. Andytw

Andytw Well-Known Member

It is worth trying to install the software that you currently have as with Windows 10 even the standard version has compatibility modes for installing older software.
    The oldest compatibility mode is for Windows XP SP3 if I remember correctly.
    If your programs installed correctly on Windows 7 then there is a good chance they will work on Windows 10.

I should add that if the scanner needs a driver the the above will only help if a suitable Windows 10 driver is available.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    John Farrell, EightBitTony and NickM like this.
  7. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

you can always get a scanner to work with vuescan

John Farrell likes this.
  8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Seems to have rescued my Canon Lide scanner for which I couldn't otherwise find a driver.

John Farrell likes this.
  9. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Don't buy any new software until you had tried your existing stuff with W10. I have a copy of Photoshop Elements 7 pruchased in 2009, and it works perfectly on W10. Adobe may claim otherwise, but this only means that their 'online help' for PE7 no longer exists, so if I accidentaly hit the help option I get a web page for a later version of PE. I also have some 'Photo Express' software that came with an A4 flat scanner purchased in 1999, and this also works with W10 (but only in a 1024 x 768 window).

When I moved to Windows 7 in 2013 I had to get Vuescan software to drive my 1999 A4 flat scanner and 2001 Minolta film scanner because their original drivers would not work with W7. This software now also works perfectly with W10 too.

Try Vuescan - they may offer a free trial. I opted for the marginally more expensive 'lifetime' price, and have received regular updates since 2013. It is probably compatible with our Canon film scanner, and any other scanners you may have.

10. John Farrell

One problem with loading older software is that the new desktop has no optical drive, and the old software is on cds. The laptop has an optical drive, so I could try copying the software onto a memory stick. I may also be able to access the laptop's drive over the network. Fun times....

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

That is pretty much the only way I can load software from CD/DVD to our MacBooks, I use the drive in the iMac via the network, seems to work very well.

12. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

You can create an ISO (a disc image) of the CD / DVD, use USB to transfer it to the new machine. Windows 10 has the built in ability to open an ISO and make it look like a drive (right click, mount disk image).

13. John Farrell

Thank you

14. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

You own software on optical discs, but purchased a new PC without an optical drive? Help is at hand: you can buy an external USB DVD drive (read only) for about £20, and one that will write to discs for about £30 (look at the Currys/PC World website). My Photoshop Elements 7 loaded from disc in a couple of minutes on my W10 PC, as did the Office 2010 I purchased when going to W7 in 2013 (because my Office 2000 would not run on a W7 PC).

Also, if you hate the 'busy' W10 interface, try 'Classic Shell' free software (download). It has various settings, but will make W10 look more like XP or W7, and also updates itself if required after major W10 'enhancements'. It is so good that my wife hardly noticed the change between my old W7 PC (that I only replaced because its hard disc coating was suffering progressive 'rot' and files and software were being corrupted) and the new W10 one.

15. John Farrell

Hmm.....I live in New Zealand....

16. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I assume they are available in NZ! After all they are a standard computer accessory.

17. John Farrell

Yes - I can get one online for around 12 pounds, delivered. I'll try the other methods, noted above first, though.

18. John Farrell

I tried installing Arcsoft Photostudio on my laptop - the desktop hasn't been delivered yet - and it works, after some fiddling with compatibility. Thank you ChesterAP!

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

You may have difficulty seeing your desktop from the laptop and vice versa. There are all sorts of articles on the interweb about sorting this. Most are unhelpful. The important issue is not that you want to see the other machine in totality but parts of the file system. Just share the relevant directories (typically the users directory) with permission to users with a password on this machine and everything that needs to be visible is visible. Work groups no longer exist.

John Farrell likes this.
  20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Current Canon software can probably be downloaded if you still have the serial number of the old Canon digital camera that you bought in 2005. I recently downloaded DPP which works with an S90 bought late 2009. GIMP is said to be wonderful be people who like that sort of thing. I think it is geeky. Affinity Photo is worth looking at. It is not expensive. Simple, it is not. Powerful, it is. I especially like it because I do a bit of desktop publishing for a volunteer group of which I am a member. Affinity Photo works seamlessly with Affinity Publisher; they are different persona of the same program.