1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ilford Microphen

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by josie, Jan 1, 2004.

1. josie

josie Well-Known Member

Good Evening, Oh Learned Ones,
    I've run out of my usual developer, and have a pack of Microphen.
    Is it as easy to use as the packaging suggests?
    In that, I make it up to a stock concentration, then dilute this further for use?
    Can it be used straight away? or does it need to mature?
    I'm hoping to use it with HP5, er.... tonight!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Bye For Now,
    Jo/img/wwwthreads/wink.gifBecause I'm worth it! (Blatantly Nicked from TV advert.)

2. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Re: Ilford Microphone

Jo,

Once stock solution is made up (and allowed to cool) it is ready to use and can be used at stock strength (6.5 min) or diluted 1 &#43 1 (12 min) or 1 &#43 3 (23 min) all times at 20 degree Celsius

HTH

<font color=blue>RonM CRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

3. josie

josie Well-Known Member

Thank-you Mr Wonderful.
    I'll get right to it!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Bye For Now,
    Jo/img/wwwthreads/wink.gifBecause I'm worth it! (Blatantly Nicked from TV advert.)

4. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Ain't she a wee ray of Sunshine/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif flattery will get you anything (as long as the missus don't find out/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif)

5. josie

josie Well-Known Member

Well that's that little job done! Looks okay from the negatives, so thanks again Ron/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Bye For Now,

6. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

I'm glad I was able to help Jo and that your negs have turned out OK

7. Simon E.

Simon E. Well-Known Member

ID-11 apparently benefits from being left to stand overnight. If nothing else, this will allow the air bubbles that result from the mixing to escape. Even a posting from an Ilford tech chappie recommended leaving ID-11 to rest overnight before use. I would be inclined to do the same with any powder developer.

For max speed increase you should use Microphen stock (when it can also be reused if you wish). Otherwise diluted is fine - this will give slightly sharper prints.

If the powder doesn't dissolve completely (and Microphen is a b*gger for this) try placing the mixed solution in a fairly hot water bath - use a sink or pan - and give it a stir once it's warmed up.

If you get fed up of mixing the powder then DD-X is a liquid Microphen in all but name.

Simon.

8. josie

josie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input Simon.
    I used it 1 - 1, and it seemed okay.
    If I use it as stock solution, I pressume I can only re-use it once - Yes?
    It did all dissolve - eventually!!!
    Thanks again,
    Jo

Bye For Now,

9. Simon E.

Simon E. Well-Known Member

You can re-use the stock a number of times. Have a look at the box - you have to cut it open to read all the instructions inside - it describes how much to extend development times by for each time you re-use it.

I don't use it often enough to do this. Also, a yucky grey deposit settles on the bottom of the jar in between sessions. I prefer diluting it as and when I use it, and throwing it away. No risk of getting it wrong then.

If you want to make it go further dilute it 1 3, the results are very similar to 1 1. To reduce dev times use a higher temperature. I have produced a dilution table at http://www.geocities.com/ruralwales/dilute.html

Ilford's powder dev datasheet (PDF, 100kb) is at

http:// http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/pdf/powder_dev.pdf

You can right-click and Save Target As... on this link to download the PDF to disk.

If you get fed up of mixing the powder like I did, buy some DD-X.

Simon.