1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ilford Delta 400 film

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Lstock, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Lstock

Lstock Well-Known Member

My local camera store says that they couldn't process Ilford Delta 400 because they only process C41 films (like colour, and Ilford XP2). I asked them what would happen if they DID process it in C41 and they said the results would "not be great". What would be the effect if they were to process the delta film in the C41? I ask this as they have to send the film off to get it processed, and this takes about a week

2. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

It's quite easy and much cheaper to do it yourself, lots of info on here.

3. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

There may be an image, but what they will be concerned about will be messing up their dev tank in the machine and messing up all the other films that will be in the dev at the same time as yours.
    C41 dev is not generally usable with normal B&W, so the man was right

4. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

No, No, NO, don't do it, I have seen what happens, its not pretty!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

Quite right, you can't dev normal B&W films in C-41 colour chemistry, although there are special B&W films that are made for C-41. Doing your own processing is easy and generally gets the best results, but if that does not appeal, there are still plenty of labs who will do it for you. Indeed, you can get Ilford films processed by Ilford.

6. Hristo

Hristo Member

You can send your black and white films for developing to photolabs such as The Lab 120 in London.Under no circumstances develop delta 400 in C41 chemistry.You may find it easy to use B&W films which can be developed in C41 chemistry such as Ilford XP2 or the Kodak and Fuji CN range.I have used XP2 many times and developing is easy by any high street lab for about £3.

7. Alex_M

Alex_M Well-Known Member

Chromogenic B&W emulsions (processed in C41) can give outstanding results, but it's worth bearing in mind that the archival properties of the processed chromogenic film are very limited indeed.

Alex

8. Woolliscroft

True. I never use it for exactly that reason, although this might be a less important issue to some.

9. Alex_M

Alex_M Well-Known Member

I started using XP2 when it used to be XP1. I loved it for portraits of my then baby daughter; it could produce the tonal range of HP4 (as was then) with the grain of PanF. I processed it in the dedicated chemistry Ilford used to produce, and was always a stickler for proper washing at the end of development and fixing. The projected lifetime of XP1 before it started fading was about ten years, which seemed long to me at the time, but now... I recently fetched out my storage neg books in order to scan some of my favourite pictures, and the XP1 negs were unusable. A few films were passable, but most had faded to a pale green. So the only prints I can have are those made at the time, and though some are fortunately good, there are others where I'd like to make a decent 10x8 or A4, but now cannot.

At least these days there's always the option of scanning the film!

Alex

10. hhmr

hhmr Well-Known Member

I can't offer any experience with chromogenic B&W longer than 5 years but I do have lots of colour chromogenic negs going back to the early 1970s. Some have faded, some not, but even the faded ones can be scanned and a reasonable colour image recovered digitally. I've got a few colour negs going back to the late 1960s which have stood up reasonably well too, though they do better as B&W prints really, but at that stage I was mostly using conventional B&W. My colour positives seem to stand up better but I think that's fairly common experience. Mind you, silver gelatine B&W negs deteriorate too, though for different reasons.

I get the feeling that my colour negs over the last 15 years are a bit more resilient than the early ones, but time will tell (even if I'm not around to assess that myself!). It would be interesting to know whether chromogenic B&W has shared in the extra longevity that colour films seem to display.

I've got a variety of colour images going back to 1959 up on the site below my signature and some black and white ones, for which I only have prints, dating from 1947.

Much as I enjoy the huge range of effects that conventional B&W films provide, I must say I do like XP2 too as it's a lot easier to scan. Since pigment based B&W printing is now an easy option even with cheap kit (for example Epson C86 or 88 printer, MIS Black and 3 Greys ink), I'd have thought A4 prints carefully packed away (with a list of everyones names!) would be a useful back-up for family memories even if we still can't trust chromogenic negatives.

Mind you, we all end up dead and forgotten unless we achieve the status of super-hero or super-villain!

Henry

11. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

I think the modern version of XP2 is supposed to be a lot more archival then the old C41 films.

12. Woolliscroft

I remember that old dedicated chemistry. It did a much better job with XP1 than straight C41, where I found the results less than sharp. I have negs that are still fine, but only where I doubled the fixing time. It's probably way too late now but I wonder if re-fixing and washing your negs might slow further deterioration. Just a thought.

As for people's comments about the lifespan of colour, there seems to be a big difference between Kodachrome and others. I have Kodachrome slides of myself as a baby (I am now nearly 50), which look like they were taken yesterday, but pictures shot on other brands, mostly Agfa, have faded badly.

13. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

If Ilford Delta or any other B/W traditional film is put into C41 chemistry which runs at 100oF the emulsion will probably MELT OFF! They are designed to be done at 68oF but can withstand 75oF but NOT 100oF!

14. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

They come out blank, we did have a few B&W put through the C41 when I worked in the lab.

15. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Anyone tried putting C41 through B&W?

16. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Many years ago, yes! Both colour and Ilford XP1. I wish I could find my old negs to dig them out but the boxes got lost in one of many moves.

As I remember, the results were rather grainy and high contrast - and a pig to print on B&W papers. IIRC, the XP1 gave slightly less bad (I don't think "better" is the right word!) results than the colour - which was Kodak 200ASA.

I wonder whether the results would have lasted longer than those processed in the "correct" C41 (or, indeed, dedicated Ilford XP1 soups) seem to have done?