1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ilford Delta 3200 developer

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Simon, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

Whats the best developer for Ilford Delta 3200? I'm using Ilfosol S at the moment (as that's what the guy in the shop reccomended for my first attempts!) but I don't know if this will work with such a high speed film. I've only used it with HP5 so far.

Is there anything I need to watch out for when I'm developing this film? Are higher speed films less tolerant to temperature/timing variations? The mere fact it has the word 'Professional' in it's name is, for some reason, making me nervous!

Cheers,

Simon

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I use Kodak TMax developer with it, and am perfectly happy with this combination.
    Bear in mind that Delta 3200 is really slower than 3200, and so needs push processing (times published take this into account) - I wouldn't go under the quoted time or temperature.

Nick BSRIPN

3. dungbeetle

dungbeetle Well-Known Member

I also use it with TMax and get good results. You need to be careful when loading your tank that you have no even tiny light leaks in your room. On most photographic products, the word 'Professional' means just about jack shit.

Wilko (alter ego mode)

4. Simon E.

Simon E. Well-Known Member

I use Ilford DD-X or Microphen, as I usually want to extract as much shadow detail as I can from this film. Tolerance to time/temp is average as far as I can tell, I usually give it about 9mins in DD-X 1 4 after exposing at 800asa. Microphen is cheaper than DD-X but is a powder, and a pain in the arse to mix up.

Ilfosol-S will surely work fine with this film, but it probably won't give you the best negatives if you want to expose it at 1600asa or above.

Ignore the 'Professional' label, it's just marketing guff, a load of old b*ll*cks.

Simon.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

On the "Professional" thing, in this case it means nothing, but film is about the only place where it does mean anything in photography - professional colour slide films may not differ in terms of the emulsion from their amateur breteren (Astia is the same as Sensia, for example), but they are aged prior to release and thus need to be stored cold to keep them fresh.

Nick BSRIPN

6. tamos

tamos Member

I use microphen as per the instructions for delta 3200 and pushing HP5. I've been happy enough with the results. The only other developer I've used (with any film) is ID11. I'm planning to try some other developers once I've moved house and can unpack some stuff.

7. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

so "professional" = "but they are aged prior to release and thus need to be stored cold to keep them fresh."...........explains why Burgy goes off in the sun then! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

8. Simon E.

Nick,

this doesn't explain the use of "professional" on boxes of Ilford Delta or Kodak Tmax black and white film, none of which is 'aged' or refrigerated before sale. It is merely marketing. Storage conditions for these materials are the same as for other emulsions.

Simon.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Exactly - that's why I said it didn't apply in this case.

Nick BSRIPN

10. Simon E.

Brain fade

That's my excuse, anyway. Sorry Nick, I should have read it properly.

Simon.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Re: Brain fade

I'm having one of those days myself, Simon!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Nick BSRIPN

12. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

........bit like how camera makers describe some cameras as being "pro" models. Some genuinely are but with others I reckon it is just marketing hype.

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Some you have to be a pro to afford, the rest it's indeed hype!

Nick BSRIPN