1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If I could justify the cost this is what I would get

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

2. Stephen Rundle

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

£70 from LCE.

Oops, too late it just arrived on Anglesey...

S

DaveM399 likes this.
  4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Yes and no, Pentax and Nikon lenses focus the right way, everyone else is out of step. In the same way we drive on the correct side of the road. Most independent lenses focus the opposite way to Pentax and Nikon. With AF it really doesn’t matter but with MF lenses it slows things down. Zooming direction is variable too. It is 24 years since I used a manual focus lens on a Nikon so I can’t remember which way it turns.

Right and wrong in this case being dependent upon what one is used to. For me turning a knob anticlockwise reduces something, clockwise increases it, most electronics works that way, there are exceptions and they are annoying in the same way Nick finds Nikon focusing direction annoying.

Zou likes this.
  5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I had two of them, an OM1 and an OM1n I sold the 1n when I got an OM2n . Much as I liked OM cameras I couldn’t go back to film so I won’t be buying any to just gather dust.

6. Stephen Rundle

;) ;) ;)

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Pentax lenses as standard focus the "wrong" way. But I agree about the MX. Lovely little camera.

8. Stephen Rundle

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No thanks. I have enough obsolete kit. I wouldn't want to get rid of it because it is part of my history. Why buy someone else's memories. It wouldn't mean anything to me.

GeoffR likes this.
  10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My OMs, with one exception, were bought new, why would I want someone else's OM? I see digital cameras somewhat differently, they are just computers I don't get attached to them. I still have the last film cameras I bought 24 years ago and they work fine as far as I can tell but as I said I'll not go back to film. I still have tape recorders, and tape, but using my Mac is so much more convenient if I need to record, which is a couple of times a week for live and daily for YouTube extracts, tape is time consuming, as is film.

If you want to engage in nostalgia, great, go for it, but if you need to get the job done I am afraid I'll go with digital every time.

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  11. Stephen Rundle

Does that apply to all the people who collect or use stamps, classic cars, china, glassware, paintings artwork the list is endless ;)

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Collecting things can be fun but unless you donate your collection to a museum, assuming it is valuable enough in some way for them to want it, it will be broken up by you heirs. Then parts of it will join another collection and the low value items will be recycled. Enjoy your collection while you can but don’t expect everyone else to understand why the items are of value to you.

The OM1 is very nice but my views on classic equipment is that it should be used. Just looking at the Concorde displays does nothing for me, maintaining them in fly able condition would be another matter. They will never fly again because a vital part was removed once they reached their final resting places. However I am sure others have very different views.

13. Stephen Rundle

As I have said in many previous posts I am not a collector, I have re bought cameras I once owned, also what I buy I use

Are you also saying that you have nothing of dead family or relatives, that is a shame, I have items that have (not may) been passed down in particular my son now has mf fathers war medals, and memorabilia, does that make him a collector.

Does this apply then "Enjoy your collection while you can but don’t expect everyone else to understand why the items are of value to you."

Thank god for collectors, errr museums for one

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

There is my problem, I don't have time to use everything I already have so why buy more, I know it wouldn't be used.

Stephen, I have a view that what museums have really need to be either "used" or in some other way made available to the public so that they can learn from it or appreciate it for what it is. In the Science museum there is a Rolls Royce RB211-22B on a stand, that's it no annotations no additional information other than a card showing a Lockheed Tristar, of a different model from that to which the engine was applicable. About all the general visitor will see is that it is big (sort of a GE90 is appreciably bigger) and too complicated for them to understand. I can name pretty much every component I can see and explain what it does (more or less) but then I had the training. Personally I don't see the point of this exhibit.

A camera sitting in a case doesn't tell me any more about it than what it looks like. To understand its place in photographic history I need to handle it and appreciate its good and bad points. It wouldn't last long if thousands of people a day handled it though. Much of what is in museums is an illustration of something deeper, deprive me of that something deeper and the exhibit is just a decoration. We are different, what excites you may not excite me, let me enjoy things my way and you do the same.

15. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I've yearned to own an MF Alpa, which I also got the chance to handle at one at a camera show in Birmingham, which had a roll film back on it. I can certainly see why the late Roger Hicks liked his. There are digital backs available at prices (even 2nd-hand) that elicit a number of expletives!

16. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I sold my entire OM system a few years ago. Along with 9 zuikos (inc the rare 40mm f2)
    Have to say I don’t regret it. The om system was and is adorable, almost jewel like precision. It’s just let down by the fact it uses film. That’s basically a dead duck to me.
    Beautiful they certainly were. I used OM through my college years along with a canon EOS600 (still have it)

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Yes it really is a lovely system and really nice to use but there were known issues, and I found a good number of them, though they weren't the reason for my jumping ship to Nikon. Like you I have little use for film, I don't have the time to develop film and I don't have the money to buy the amount of film I would be using. Digital works for me because I have on ongoing costs. Which is a real shame because I really like the OM system.