1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If I could justify the cost this is what I would get

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Excellent camera.
    I know some think they were a bit clunky, but I loved using one.

3. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I have Canon, Pentax (m42 and K mount) Praktica, Yashica (Pentamatic and M42), Konica, Pentina and Agfa SLRs, among others. But no Nikon.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

No more clunky than other mechanical SLRs. They have proved to be durable though. I had an FM2 which I sold many years ago, I ended up buying a used FM2n a few years later, about £200 with a 50mm f1.8, I thought that was a tad high at the time, but it was black and not far off mint, I still have it. I also have an FE2, much preferable to the fiddly Pentax ME Super. I am rather surprised at the prices being asked, and paid for FM2/Fm2n cameras though. On the occasions I use film I dig the FE2 out, I am trying to keep the FM2n as pristine as possible, the FE2 was an Ebay buy, which has had a replacement eyepiece. new seals and mirror foam, the screen was marked, I came across an unused one in a local market for £2!. It cleaned up nicely and is probably in Exc++ condition now.

5. Stephen Rundle

Far less clunky than my D4s !!!

6. Stephen Rundle

I have posted that many times

Have you SEEN the prices of good film cameras now

Also Japanese Ex +++++ is to me crap adequate

7. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I buy them rough, and overhaul them.

8. Stephen Rundle

Now I always carry a Nikkormat EL in the car and A Canon EOS D30, the EOS D30 is a great DSLR

9. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I still use my Olympus OM-10 (just never get around to developing the film :D)

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I meant UK exc++;).

Certainly particular cameras with mechanical shutters are now costly, even Pentax K1000s, which used to go for around £80 and were around in great numbers have risen greatly, give me an FM2 over those though. I have several Nikon autofocus film bodies, one even allows the stabilisation on my 70-200 f4 to work with it, these are still of fairly low value and may well stay that way.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I had an FM2n, the need to move the film advance lever away from the stowed position to switch it on was annoying. Fortunately the addition of an MD12 solved that problem but the camera was then no smaller than the, then current, F4s. I traded the FM2n and two F4s bodies in against my second F5 I still have them.

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

£400 for one in good condition seems a bit steep. I have a pristine example. I used it as a second camera to an F90 and then F100. A problem with the F90 and F100 is that the rubber covering gets sticky with age.

13. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

The sticky surface is easy to clean off with a bit of isopropyl alcohol and a piece of rough cloth .
    The back of my Minolta Dynax 7 went like that and cleaned up no problems .
    The grips on both my Nikon F80 & F100 also went sticky , but cleaned up no problem .
    Only takes a few minutes to do.

14. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Something I have noticed with a few plastics that become sticky is that if they are left in the air then the problem all but disappears after a few weeks. I don't know if it is because things are often stored in relatively airtight conditions or the exposure to sunlight has an effect, but my Wacom mouse (for my graphics tablet) has definitely improved since I left it out.

15. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I’ve still got an eos 1v that hasn’t seen the light of day for a couple of years.

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I really disliked mine. Not as much as my F, but both of them felt more agricultural than my Zenit E. Of course the wrong way mounting and focusing didn't help, but I loved my FE, which had the same issues, but was silky smooth in comparison. I much prefer the Pentax MX, much nicer to use except it still focuses the wrong way.

17. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Surely that depends on the lens and not the camera body? I used an MX with a variety of lenses (and brands) for 27 years, and not all focused in the same 'way'. The camera body was, for me, the perfect compact manual SLR.

18. Stephen Rundle

I always wanted the Om1

19. Stephen Rundle

Isopropyl alcohol

I bought the Canon EOS D30 from LCE with "faulty" sticky lens, lens was FREE, cleaned off the tacky rubber and is a good as new

20. Stephen Rundle