1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identify brand compatibility of Flash

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Luggruff, Oct 14, 2021 at 7:03 AM.

1. Luggruff

Luggruff New Member

I have a Sigma Flash gifted to me by a friend along with an EOS 600D (T3i) when he moved out of country and had no room for it.

The issue is that my camera does not recognize it as compatible. I can only adjust the compensation settings. It is not listed on the compatibility chart of Sigma, as it only goes up to 500D for this flash on their website. However, one would think that since the camera is newer, it should probably then at least be able to use it.. more than TTL with only compensation adjustments, or manual mode, with no adjustments possible at all..

This leads me to suspect that it might in fact not be for Canon at all. The issue though: I have no clue how to tell, as this model have the same name for all brands.. and there was no box included from my friend. So, is there any way to be certain?

I attached some images..

Attached Files:

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It is for Canon, as it says E-TTL II, which is Canon's flash protocol. And as such, it should be compatible with your 600D. That much I can tell you - no idea why it's not working, though. Try cleaning both camera shoe and flash shoe contacts, that might help.

3. Luggruff

Luggruff New Member

Thanks! Tried Google for so long but couldn't formulate a search that gave relevant reults.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

There could be a clue in the model number/name.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Is "your camera" the EOS 600D that the flash came with - or something different? Did your friend say that the flash was working with the 600 D? It is possible with some Canon cameras to disable the hot shoe flash function, some flash guns can provide an infra-red focus assist light and disabling flash lets the AF assist to be used on its own. Does the flash actually work ? If you power it up and press the test button does it flash? I thought that as a rule all EOS flash guns worked on all EOS cameras but I don't know about third party makes.

EDIT at a quick glance https://www.sigma-global.com/en/accessories/ef-530-dg-st/?tab=support&local=table&table_id=12644 doesn't list the 600D . Dunno why.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 3:22 PM
  6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

There's no such thing as an EOS flashgun. Canon have used several protocols for flash with EOS cameras: EZ, which works with no digital EOS cameras (except I think the original 1D, but that could be wrong) and various flavours of EX, which should work with the 600D.

The OP pointed that out in the original post.

A bit more Googling brings up a link back to these forums, which suggests there's a firmware issue with these Sigma guns and more recent EOS bodies, so that could well be the problem:

https://www.amateurphotographer.co....ma-flash-problem-and-possible-upgrade.104600/

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Thanks Nick, it's been a hard day - I misremembered of course it is EX for EOS. After I posted I saw #3 about not finding anything on google so I tried and came up with the list. Didn't cross-check with post #1.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

As has been pointed out before, Canon (and Nikon) don't license their interfaces hence when they update their firmware the third party suppliers get caught out. I have regularly advised caution when buying used third party lenses and accessories because you have no idea which firmware is loaded, a quick check in a shop may not be sufficient to find any problems. Later lenses with USB updating or a docking station would be advised if buying used.

I agree with Nick, it is likely to be a firmware issue.

9. Luggruff

Luggruff New Member

Not sure what you mean with "your camera" haha. It is my camera. To clarify, my friend moved out of country more or less packing in one day, and could not fit all his stuff as he could only take two suitcases to his destination as that is what hos new employer paid for, and he was dead broke (nope, not everyone plan well, or want to bring everything).. so I ended up with all his furniture, a ton of shoes, an electric keyboard (piano), a lot of other little stuff and.. out of the two cameras he had he left this one for me.

Getting off track though: it is the flash I got with the camera - though neither was especially new. My friend had used the camera for years, so I just assumed it belonged it worked with it, and never actually asked (also I was new to this, and only now, after about a year, I really bothered to try it out).

The flash works. Test function works, motor works (when opening/closing the diffuser it zooms). It flashes in TTL, MH and ML mode. It's just that I only get access to the expo. comp. setting. In the same menu there are three or four options grayed out, curtain and some more. The c.F function menu yells about incompatibility though, also.

Nice. Will definitely check that out. Not sure about the current firmware, but I suspect I might very well have updated it before I installed Magic Lantern. Used to flash my phones a lot, so it's a habit to always make sure to have the right firmware to begin with.

Just ordered a Godox TT685C because I realized the camera has a built in transmitter, so I won't have to invest in one just yet.. should I be worried about incompatibility down the road due to this? :eek:

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I doubt there will be problems with the camera you have unless you update the firmware but it may be a problem if you upgrade to a later model camera.

Please don't get the idea that I am suggesting only buying the camera manufacturers accessories. Manufacturers don't always produce the accessories you want and then there is no option but to buy third party equipment. What matters is that, when you buy third party accessories, you recognise the possibility of future incompatibility and accept the, small, risk associated with that.

Camera manufacturers aren't entirely free of compatibility problems either, Nikon had a two pin remote connector up to the F4 but the F5 and later cameras use a 10 pin connector. Sometimes advances in technology require changes to accessories.