1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Ideal next lens for gig photography

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Luca Baron, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Luca Baron

Luca Baron Member

Hi all,
    Looking for some advice. I’d like to start taking photos of gigs again, it’ll be mainly small local venues.
    Currently I have a Canon 50mm, which serves me well, however I’d like to go wider to mix up my shots.
    Ideally I’d like a 24-70mm but that is out of my budget. What are people’s opinions on the canon 28mm? Will it suffice? Or should I consider a 35mm?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I’d guess it is one of those “ you don’t know until you try” questions as it much depends on the situation. A 28 mm lens is about as wide as you can go for portraits without unflattering perspective issues - you’d typically use it for wide group shots if space were limited. The field of view would be less if you are using a crop sensor camera. The 35 mm focal length is generally useful and fast versions are available. Your best bet is to try both out. Camera shops generally let you try lenses on your camera if you are buying. I’d expect Canon fit 28 and 35 to be widely available second hand.

3. Luca Baron

Luca Baron Member

Thanks, I’ll bear that in mind...I’m going to go camera shop tomorrow see if they have lenses to try.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

What camera are you putting it on? Crop or Full frame?

5. Luca Baron

Luca Baron Member

Full frame Canon RP

6. EightBitTony

So I'm assuming you're talking about the 28mm EF f2.8? It'll do the job, but it's still pushing £450 new I think.

7. Luca Baron

Luca Baron Member

That’s the one, should have made that more clear.
    Can’t find it any cheaper new, I’m considering getting it used if I can find a decent one.

8. EightBitTony

If you think you can live with f/4 the 16-35 f4 L is a really nice lens and gives you more options, but you'd need it second hand.

(Don't look at the f/2.8 it'll make you cry)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  9. Luca Baron

Luca Baron Member

I’ll have a look, thanks...I don’t think it matters what lens it is, they all make me cry

EightBitTony likes this.