1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

I would like help with my camera project.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Beeblebob, Sep 23, 2020.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I didn't know that, but if it is correct, it would fit a paradigm where digital technologies have followed an analogue pattern in terms of both operation and styling. Basically, the first step in a dramatic technology change is to mimic the technology before, in order as you say, not to freak people out. So things are made to look like, and operate like, when they could be far more different. It tends not to be too much of a consideration to the innovation-seeking "early adopters" that you will find in the experience curve models I mentioned, but in getting to the level of mass-market acceptance, which is where manufacturers claw back all the development and launch losses and move into profit. If you don't get that transition to higher volumes, you are screwed and they can be very conservative consumers. About 70% of new products fail because they don't succeed in making the leap to sustainable volumes.
    Nikon never achieved sustainable volumes with their early freaky designs. I worked on ways to relaunch the Nikon compacts offering to a European market that had basically rejected them in favour of more traditional appearances, even though completely unnecessary.

Beeblebob likes this.
  2. Beeblebob

Beeblebob Member

In case you’re interested, here’s a link to a video of him explaining it. https://www.diyphotography.net/worlds-first-digital-camera-introduced-man-invented/

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I trust you're going to include enlargers in the above - they're larger than cameras, and cause more disruption in the home. I think my cameras could just about fit in a narrow cupboard* - the enlargers are far too bulky for that. And then there's my other optical interests like two serious astro telescopes, currently stored in the garage.
    *They don't because ease of access is also a requirement.

RogerMac likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

At best, Sasson's clunky design tied with the Cromemco Cyclops designed by Terry Walker, Harry Garland and Roger Melen. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromemco_Cyclops ). Neither of these designs could be described as commercially viable, though it's more than likely that many more of the Cyclops design were built and used than Sasson's.

The first commercially practical models seem to have been Nikon's QV-1000C ( https://www.nikonweb.com/qv10 ) and Fuji's DS-1P ( https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Fujix_DS-1P )

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Interesting, thanks. Yes he says "you have to understand the cultures out there and make it very much like the culture's used to".

From the end of the '80s onwards, the fact digital was coming and would sweep away analogue film was well-known. I was working with Agfa at that time, who were No3 brand globally. The whole game for more than 10 years was trying to position film as far more advanced than it was to protect volumes up to and through the launch of digital. We created for them the HDC (High Definition Colour) brand, as competitor to Kodak Gold. HDC was because we knew High Definition would eventually be a TV and digital standard and we wanted to get there first. I invented the Futura name for their hybrid APS print film to make out it had a future, which we knew it didn't.

6. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

This is an important point, and for the same reason I must have a camera with a viewfinder and dioptre adjustment (currently a DSLR with a decent pentaprism). I have used the rear screen a few times when working indoors with a tripod, when I can wear my glasses, but working outdoors with only a screen would be hopeless. Have you ever noticed how smartphone users hold their device at arm's length when trying to compose the image? I have also seen students doing 'street photography' with Canon DSLRs well beyond my budget, and using them like smartphones - held away from the body and using the rear screen. Sometimes I suspect it is for people like this that 'image stabilisation' was put into modern cameras and lenses.

Perhaps the survey could include a question about wearing glasses and asking if these cause any problems when taking pictures.
    Some fourteen year olds wear glasses too.

Also, perhaps the survey need not get too technical - do you want to find out how little many people know about how their camera works, or how they use it (for what purpose). Also, if anybody taking your survey says they know how any device works, don't confuse knowing how something is used with how it works.
    To use the car comparison - you can drive petrol of diesel car without knowing anything about the chemistry of hydrocarbons, the laws of thermodynamics or Newton's Laws of Motion. The first will help you understand emission problems, the second where the energy to power the car comes from, and the last may help you understand why you might drive into a tree if you drive round a corner at an insane speed. But you can drive a car in complete ignorance of these, knowing only how to use a car and not how it works.

RogerMac likes this.
  7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Wearing glasses is a problem especially if there is a cylindrical component in the prescription. The strength and orientation of the cylindrical component needs to be taken into account. I used to think that it would be possible to fit a prescription lens into one of the supplementary viewfinder lens holders but never got round to doing that.