1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

I would like help with my camera project.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Beeblebob, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Beeblebob

Beeblebob Member

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

If you want sensible answers from this forum you will need to change the last question to cameras (from camera)

Beeblebob likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi, project time of year again! What is the project about?

4. Beeblebob

Beeblebob Member

This project is a really open ended one. We are allowed to research any type of subject we like, come up with a question about it, and then answer it thoroughly. I chose cameras, because who wouldn’t? I am going to dissect a dead Canon 300D (I think?) next.

5. Beeblebob

Beeblebob Member

Absolutely anything remotely related to technology. It’s an awesome project!

6. Beeblebob

Beeblebob Member

Oh ok thanks. I don’t know if I can do that now, since I’m on mobile, but I’ll try.

7. Beeblebob

Beeblebob Member

There have been a few misunderstandings, all of which my fault. I would like to point out that at first, I made this for a group of 14 year olds to answer, before realising they would know nothing about them. I too am also quite new to all types of camera work. The questions are mainly geared towards DSLR and iPhone cameras (since I thought 14 yr olds would have them), but most can be changed. If anyone wants to suggest a question, or help me edit others, as some people have already done, I will be happy to put it in. I have gotten lots of replies already, so thank you very much!

8. Beeblebob

Beeblebob Member

I should specify, my question is “could Smartphones cameras replace DSLR cameras completely?” Now, obviously, any compacted camera will be much worse than a non compacted one, and Smartphones take the control away from you. I know this, but the general consumer doesn’t. So there’s been a huge upsurge in sales of ‘Camera phones’. My project will explore this, and try to figure out why, how to stop it, or if we need to stop it (hmm), and will also try to find out if Compacted cameras can get any closer to DSLRs. The purpose of the survey part of it is to see what the average photographer does with their camera, what they have, etc.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  9. Beeblebob

Beeblebob Member

I’m also really new to forums in general. I don’t know if I’m writing too many replies, not enough, etc. I also don’t know how to reply to replies. I also can’t see everything, even though I’ve been given the message notification. Sorry if I don’t get back to you, but this is hard for me!

10. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

If your target form fillers are 14 year olds, you perhaps need to explain what a 'camera' is.
    They have grown up with mobile telephones that also take pictures, and many of them may not have come across this term before.

It would be interesting to ask them if they do anything with their pictures, apart from presumably sharing them with the world via their mobile telephone.

Good luck.

11. Beeblebob

Beeblebob Member

Exactly, so I scrapped that, and put it here instead. If you have any better questions you think I should put in, feel free to suggest them. Whilst I now know what a camera is, I am pretty new to cameras, so help is appreciated.

12. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well I think you need to start by getting a better view of the consumer segmentation of the photography market and avoid the confusion of talking about general consumers and average photographers. You are in a forum here that does not really represent either of them. For ordinary snapper uses, a phone is all they need and there is no case for stopping it. It can also serve many enthusiast needs too, especially where their interest is in "seeing eye" photography where their skill is in recognising a shot that snappers might not see. Often in those cases, little in the way of control is required; the picture is what they see and factors like depth of field or shutter speed are secondary. Where these matter more is in specific interest areas and particular genres.
    The main effect of phones on the enthusiast sector has been to destroy the non-enthusiast (snapper) sector, thus reducing volumes and profitability and forcing prices of enthusiast cameras to astronomical levels. In the early stages, digital democratised photography, but whilst phones have continued that process and vastly more pictures are taken than ever before, the enthusiast sector has first been democratised by having all the old arcane operations made childishly easy, then made more elitist again in terms of affordability.
    There is the real conundrum.

Geren and Beeblebob like this.
  13. PeteRob

Your enthusiasm is clear. Is this a school project?

One way to help design a project, once you have the basic idea is to set out:

At the end of this project I will be able to :
    A,
    B,
    C,

Where A, B, C etc. are in effect answers to questions, i.e. things you wanted to find out, quantified as far as possible.

If you can decide what you want to achieve then the way to get there becomes much more clear. Every single project start-up discussion I have ever been part of starts with “What do we need to achieve?”.

You are part of the way with post #8 in setting out an overarching question. To answer it there are a number of subsidiary questions you need to ask and resolve. You need to be careful of assumptions like
    which is jumping the gun somewhat.

To save later blushes a compact camera is probably what you mean in #8. A compacted camera has been through a crusher!

Beeblebob likes this.
  14. Beeblebob

Beeblebob Member

Yes, I did mean compact! Thank you for all the advice too, it is very helpful.Yes, it is a school project, although I have a feeling I would have gotten into photography anyway. And that isn’t an assumption, I do have evidence that phones sell more than cameras, although I thank you for the warning. This is one of the first projects like this I’ve done, and I’m enjoying it!

15. Beeblebob

Beeblebob Member

Oh, yeah I know. I’m already halfway through the project, although the ideas are appreciated. This isn’t the only forum I’ve posted this to. I want to cover as broad a spectrum as I can though, which means contacting high end professional photographers, all the way down to my class mates, who can barely turn cameras on. However, what you have described is what I have found out. The issue with projects is then collecting enough evidence and references that the teacher accepts it. What you describe is the secondary evidence part of the project. I have to find numbers that show all that on the internet. However, if I collect data myself, primary evidence, then it’s easier to sort through, and I know there’s no bias, etc. You probably already know this though. I would have to agree with you, too, that there needs to be a way to make cheaper cameras. I want to look into that, but I don’t think I know enough about manufacturing. To be honest, I’m starting to think the bigger brands are inflating prices, although I’m unsure.

16. Beeblebob

Beeblebob Member

Many people are picking the choice “other” when asked what they like to take pictures of. Would anyone like to give me some suggestions for what else to put up there as an option?

17. PeteRob

If you are half way through the whole thing and still have analysis and reporting to do then changing the questionnaire at this point may cause you more problems than solutions. I’d guess your “other” answers fall into something between 3 and 5 categories in which case you can sort them later.

My guesses - sport, wildlife/nature, still-life, street, documentary/reportage.

Beeblebob likes this.
  18. Beeblebob

Beeblebob Member

Potentially, however I’m not collecting answers to specific questions, and how things stack, I’m looking at people’s opinions and uses. No matter how late it is, the more specific I get, the more useful this will be. However, I know exactly where you are coming from, and I have considered it already, but thank you.

19. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

There have always been ways of making cheaper cameras and many have been tried, but they get little interest. There have been stripped down, basic, Nikons and others, but people want the technology. If you go back to requiring people to learn how to operate a camera, you need little more than what an Olympus OM1 offered half a century ago, but I don't see that happening. A new OM1 might cost more to make now than an all-singing and dancing digital SLR. You also have to look at not what we in Europe want, but what the Japanese and then Americans want first of all. Those are the two markets that provide the basic viability for what camera brands still survive. The Japanese in particular want the most complicated thing they can possibly get in all electronics. The Americans want utility and price and have a big advantage on latter with their huge buying power. That leaves us with essentially no vote and just taking what's on offer.
    I don't believe anyone is in a position to inflate prices. You can find stats online for how the market has shrunk and volumes declined and of course, digital is still a relatively young market, so still in a steep development curve, which demands huge funds for R&D. Real prices decline down the experience curve (look up product lifecycle) as initial investments are written down and products move towards commodity trading, with generic features and performance. We are nowhere near that yet, I fear.

The big recruitment boom to enthusiast ranks that digital created is now 10-15 years back, with higher club memberships and bigger camera sales. You can track that through things like AP readership stats, which I think is now down to about 12,000 and disappearance of other mags that were spawned in that era. With phone capabilities still increasing, the ladder into the enthusiast "real camera" world is not nearly as clear as it was and I have seen phone shots winning club and other competitions. Question might be whether cameras can survive at all?

Beeblebob, Benchista and RogerMac like this.
  20. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Probably the entire camera market in future lays with the far east.
    What China and India want to use to take images, will probably decide the issue, as far as over all sales viability goes.

Phone cameras have already almost completely destroyed the compact camera market.
    DSLR's are in the process of being replaced with Mirrorless cameras.
    Medium format digital cameras are the province of the professional9 and a small number of very serious and wealthy amateurs)
    The camera that is used most is the one that you have with you.
    Phones capture more images than all other cameras combined.

What we want in the UK is totally irrelevant to what is and what will be produced in the future, our market place is miniscule.
    The American market is large enough to demand variations, on many camera designs, produced for far eastern markets, but no longer large enough to have basic designs produced for it.

The cameras in Phones, are produced to meet the demands of the largest phone manufacturers.
    The largest suppliers of phones for the second quarter of 2020 were.. ( in millions)
    Huawei 54.8 (made in China)
    Samsung 54.2 ( most made in Vietnam)( and China 20%)
    Apple 37.5 (made in China)
    Xiomi 26.5 (made in China)
    Oppo 24.5 (made in China)
    vivo 22.5 ( made in China)
    No other phone maker supplied more than 7.5 million in that quarter.
    The top three accounted for more than 50% of all phones sold.
    A large majority of all phones, of what ever brand, are manufactured in China.
    Smaller numbers are made in India the Philipines and South Korea.

Beeblebob likes this.