1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

I want to buy a camera so advice please

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Baz94, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Baz94

Baz94 Well-Known Member

Right guys and gals, here is the rundown.
    I am enjoying photography and would love to go up a level.
    At the moment, I am doing the best I can with a cheap and chearful camera (I have a Kodak Easyshare C653, £60 worth)
    I am quite average at photography so don't want to buy a £600 camera.
    I am still learning.

What I would like though (if Poss) is a Camera with these specs an capabilities.............

. DSLR
    . Good at close up shots
    . Different shutter speeds - e.g. one that keeps the shutter open for long periods (Until I depress the button)or one that can take fast snaps.
    . Able to take 2-3 frames per second
    . 7MP +
    . Changable Lense
    . Autofocus (if poss)
    . LCD Screen
    . UNDER £300 - For camera body AND a Lense (This is essensial really, I simply CANNOT afford more :( )
    If the camera doesn't have ALL the above but at least a few then that would be ok.

I Rather like the look of either the Limux DMC-Fz8 or the Pentax K100D (I have no Idea what all those letters mean)

Please bear in mind I am still quite new to this so please speak in idiot proof language as I am still learning "Camera Lingo"!
    And as I have said, This is my 1st step away from high street cheap cameras so I don't want something thats TOO flashy and expensive.

My main interests are Landscape and close-up but would like something that would be good with motion shots too.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this xx

2. Moos3h

Moos3h Well-Known Member

Almost all of your requirements can be fulfilled by most dSLRs, but my vote would be for the (6mp) Nikon D40. An awesome camera...

Cheers,
    James

3. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Yep, AFAIK it's nearly the only one which fulfills the vital price criteria (Warehouse Express have it at £270 in their current AP ad). It is however no longer a current model, as Nikon brought out the D40X recently, so get 'em while they're around if interested. The D40X is quite a bit over budget.

Apart from that, the Pentax K100D is available from WE for £299.99 with kit lens (NOT lense, please note. That mis-spelling makes me grind my teeth, and I know I'm not alone. As an aside, is the woeful trend declining? I haven't seen it so much recently).

I would definitely recommend you try handling these at your local dealer before splashing any cash however. A camera ain't no use if you can't stand the way it works. :)

4. Moos3h

Moos3h Well-Known Member

As far as I'm aware, the D40X is not a replacement for the D40, it's the next model up?

I spoke to Nikon last week who assured me there were no immediate plans to discontinue the D40, although the guy I spoke to was technical and not sales/marketing!

Cheers,
    James

5. Baz94

Baz94 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys :) I will pop to a dealers and have a look and a feel of the cameras you mentioned.

Tim, silly question time :D Whats the difference between lens and lense?

6. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

Lense is spelt wrong :D

7. TimF

Like Dave says! :D

(and it doesn't even work in the style of "ye olde camera shoppe" either).

8. Baz94

Baz94 Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhhhh
    Gotcha :D

9. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Sounds so American. :(

10. Cyberdux

Cyberdux Well-Known Member

I get confused by the lens and lense scenario.. So is the plural of lens lenses or lens' ??

11. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I think both may be.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

One lens, two lenses. " Lens' " has no meaning whatsoever.

13. TimF

Do they still teach English language in schools? ;)

14. Baz94

Baz94 Well-Known Member

yes but I don't think anyone uses it anymore.
    "2" replaces "to", "doesn't it" is replaced by "innit" and the language in general has been boiled to the bare bones for chavs and text nuts.

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Indeed. My daughter is in Year 4; she can't spell to save her life, but at least she has some idea of how to use an apostraphe, which I'm actually quite impressed with. So yes, it's taught - but that's some way from saying people learn anything, or care. ;)

16. Cyberdux

Cyberdux Well-Known Member

it's all text speak these days i'm afraid..

"u iight, wubu2, me wnt 2 twn 2dy n gt sum bngin clths"

What the F**K does that mean, saw it on a friends phone and asked if they were foreign and goign to learn english..

Guess i'm too old to learn this new language, and remember these people are going to be running the country of the future, so that's going to end up going to pot then!!

Dux

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

What I really don't understand about text speak is how it can be easier than predictive texting, which actually allows you to write real words...

18. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Nah, that's Leicestershire Slang and has been around for decades.

"Isn't it" gets replaced by "innit"

19. Baz94

Baz94 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected :D

20. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Predictive text - the bane of my life! I send very few text messages (I have almost no friends) and the first thing I do on the very few occasions that I get a new mobile phone is find out how to turn the wretched feature off. I'm sure that I am not the only one to text in "The Queen's English"; sometimes it is a little difficult to understand the messages that my kids send me; they always seem to start "hey..."