1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want a new 'body'

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Mintywoo, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Mintywoo

Mintywoo Active Member

No this is not a mis-post for a sliming club.............. I have a Minolta 404si, but I am looking a buying another 'body'. I don't want to waste the lenses and varioius 'bits' I've got for it. Any suggestions on what I should get and is it worth considering buying them second hand?

Thank you.

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

"RonM" is the best man to answer your question Jo-ann because he is our resident Minolta expert and one of their greatest fans. As for me, well I would be inclined to go for either a secondhand Minolta Dynax 700si or 800si as both these cameras are really well specified and will offer you everything and more, that you need photographically. Prices typically range from about £215-250 for the 700si and a bit more for the newer 800si. Check out www.ffordes.com and www.mxvphotographic.com for prices.
    If you are buying new, then the Dynax7 is the one to go for. Brilliant camera and reckoned to be the fastest focusing AF slr currently available. Ffordes are currrently selling it for £589 body only.

BigWill

3. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Jo-ann,

As Big Will has already pointed out some of the bodies that are available, new and secondhand. It realy depends upon what you are looking for in a second body, i.e. do you want it as a 'back-up', do you want more facilities and greater control from a second body, all this will be of consideration.
    However to try and give you some guidance.
    Almost All Minolta Lenses and Flashguns will work with the full family of Dynax Bodies, therefore you should not (unless you are really unlucky) have any compatibillity problems.
    If you are looking for a body to compliment and backup your 404 Si. then either the 500 Si or 505 Si secondhand (you can still get 505 body only new in some dealers) from a dealer (you will get guarantees) should suit you.
    If you are looking for a body to give more function and capabillity and use your 404 Si as a backup then the 600, 700 or 800 Si secondhand from a dealer (you will get guarantees) should suit you. BTW If you are thinking about the 600/700/800 models I would advise in trying to get the grip that goes with the camera it helps with handling and ballance.
    If you are looking for an all singing all dancing modern fast AF SLR then you're looking at the new Dynax 5 and 7s available occasionally secondhand.
    It really depends on your photographic requirements and budget.
    My personal recomendations would be the 700 Si (very highly regarded semi pro spec SLR, should do most everything you require and additional function cards to extend its capabillities are available) or the Dynax 7 (IMHO it's brilliant, if I hadn't just ordered a new 85 mm f/1.4 GD lens, I was considering trading in my 600 Si against another 7 as a backup body)
    I know that what I've said here is very 'general' however, if you give me some idea of what you're looking for in your backup body & the budget you have then I can narrow down your options.

Hope this is of help.
    /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif<font color=blue>RonM FRIPN

4. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

My local shop are selling the 7 for £490 new, (body only), it makes the Ffordes price look outrageous! are you sure that price doesn't include a lens or something?

jhill

Never turn your back on reality-reality has very sharp teeth.

5. BigWill

That's what it says on their website but it could well be a typo. I notice that Jessops are selling it for £519.90 which would seem to be more in line with your price John.

BigWill

6. BigWill

....Walters Photo Video are also selling it for £499.99 so I reckon the Ffordes price is up the left. Do you think we should tell them!

BigWill

7. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Will you two stop it, you're making it very difficult for me, my plastic is already under severe strain and those prices are Oh So tempting.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif<font color=blue>RonM FRIPN </font color=blue>
    Get thee behind me avarice!

8. BigWill

Be like me, Nick and Geoff, Ron and display steely resolve and iron willpower in the face of temptation! NOT! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Big(I can resist anything except temptation!)Will

9. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Will,

I'll try, but I've just checked this weeks AP and Walters Photo video have the 7 advertised at £469.99 &#43 £6 P&P.
    OH DEAR!
    I'm just going to concentrate on getting my 'Darkroom' finished, mind you the price may continue to fall and my next expenses claim will be a good few hundred?

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif<font color=blue>Ron (extremely tempted and broke if I succumb!) M FRIPN

10. BigWill

Steady now Ron, I've just checked the price of that new 85 f1.4 you're getting, 10p short of £900!(Jessops price) Hell fire Ron, give the old credit card a chance to cool! Is that what you paid for it or did you get a bargain deal elsewhere? Must be a cracker of a lens but I'd be heart scared of dropping it. Make sure you are well insured!

BigWill

11. Mintywoo

Mintywoo Active Member

Ron... in reply....

Ron, thank you for your time in answering my query. I would say that I want something to sort of replace the 404. I am afraid I bought it without seeing what else was out there, and now realise that there are models out there that can do far more than the 404.

I was thinking of using the 404 for black and white film (B&W is something I use once in a blue moon - but would like the option of always having it handy instead of having to mess around changing films before they are finished or just shooting anything to use the film up). I would love to say that I can afford the 'lights and bells' option, but short of wining the lottery or pools that is not an option at the moment. What I don't want is to spend about £500 on what seems like a good deal only to find in 2 or 3 years time I start looking around for yet another camera because the one I got 2nd time round was not up to scratch.

Don't get me wrong, I know that technology moves so fast these days that you could buy a new model every 6 months and still be 'behind' in terms of technical ability (if you see what I mean). So I suppose in a nut shell I want something better than the 404, about £500 cost and something that will see me through for a number of years.......

I look forward to your reply.

12. BigWill

Re: Ron... in reply....

Hi Jo-ann, please excuse me for butting in in front of Ron who will doubtless answer you question most ably later on. I think you are facing a dilemma common to most photographers. As your photographic knowledge increases, you demand more in the way of photographic equipment to satisfy your increasing photographic knoledge. This is only natural. It is a fact that a better camera will NOT make you a better photographer. Only skill and experience will do that and the ability to develop a photographic "eye".
    Having said that, I am also a great beleiver that in order to achieve competence as a photographer you MUST be happy with the equipment that you are using. Confidence in it is imperative. If you BELEIVE that the camera you are using is inferior and that "if only" you had that better model, then your photography will ultimately suffer. You will be less inclined to use what you regard as "inferior" equipment and your confidence will diminish. I could sum it up as easily as "a little bit of what you fancy does you good" and this is certainly true in the case of camera equipment. To that end I would encourage you to get that "better" camera. You will feel better, your confidence will grow and you will be inspired afresh to use it. That does not mean that you need waste money though and to this end I would suggest that you consider spending half your £500 budget on a secondhand Minolta 700si and put the rest towards a digital darkroom setup. The main expense will be a good film scanner (£300-£500) and a good photo quality printer (£150-£350). I know that seems like a lot but you can buy it in stages and it will open up a whole new photographic world to you. At the minute you are only seeing half the picture. The taking side. The printing side will give you enormous pleasure as you will have ultimate control over your work and will have the convenience of being able to do it at home and at your own pace. Digital printing also gives you the convenience of being able to shoot colour film and convert it to black and white digitally.
    Give what I have said some thought and sorry for rambling on so long.

BigWill

13. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Jo-ann,

As Will, has pointed out you have reached the same dilema that many of us reached during our 'photographic' careers, in that we have all moved beyond the capabillities of our original cameras, or, that the camera no longer gives us the confidence in it's capabilities.
    Looking at the budget you are talking about most cameras in the Dynax range are (except the 9) are within your price range. Being biased I would normally advocate the Dynax 7, however I think my best advice to you would be to go to you local camera store (Minolta dealer) and try out (Handle them, compare capabillity, compare specifications) as many of the cameras that Will and I have previously mentioned and this will hopefully give you a 'feel' for the camera that best suits you and your needs and expectations from a camera. The cameras that are all capable, and exceed your 404, that I would suggest you 'try out', are the Dynax 5, 700Si 800Si and of course the 7. You'll find that most dealers are willing to price match (they want your business) so always check out the latest prices in AP for an Idea of 'best price' (Will thats what I did with the 85 f/1.4 Jessops matched a price nearly £200 less, I'm mental not completely crazy, plus I am a Scot).
    The other thing I would recommend Jo-ann, is you have a camera at present that can do a reasonably good job, therefore don't rush your choice, think carefully about what you want from your camera and do try as many as you can get hold of and if need be go back and try them again until your sure of the one that suits you the best and if you can afford it, buy it.

hope this has been of help and good hunting, you will find your ideal Minolta there is one out there waiting for you.

&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt;&lt;font color=blue&gt;&lt;b&gt;RonM&lt;/b&gt; FRIPN&lt;/font color=blue&gt;

14. BigWill

....and just in case you don't find your ideal Minolta, your ideal man is here and waiting in the form of BigWill! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif "No he bloody isn't!" That was the wife Jo-ann, no sense of humour that woman! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Big(Unavailable.....according to the wife!)Will

15. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

&lt;i&gt; sliming club &lt;/i&gt;
    is this a club where someone becomes a snail,like slimey? &lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif"&gt;

click,whirr,i got a free roll of HP5 and im not afraid to use it &lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif"&gt;

16. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

Hell, I hope not! One Slimey on the forum is more than enough!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Geoff

17. BigWill

If he did go then we'd have a "Slimmey Slimey"! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Big(I don't know how he puts weight on anyway cause all he ever eats is lettuce!)Will

18. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Marinaded in and washed down with gallons of 'full fat' "<font color=green>Gordons & Tonic</font color=green>"

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif<font color=blue>RonM FRIPN