1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

I used to have a Nikkor 14-24

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Stephen Rundle, May 22, 2020.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

APS-C Kit lenses 18-55 perhaps?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Because the standard APS-C kit lens is an 18-55 and I've never come across an 18 mm lens for full-frame other than as an intermediate setting on, for example, a 16-35, but I don't use Nikon so if they do do one I wouldn't have seen it.

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

My thoughts entirely.

Mind you, Fuji have started providing a 15-50mm as a standard kit lens. Awkward burgers!

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Pedantic me says 15-45... Used to be 16-50...as well.

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're right. I was probably confusing it with the 14-50mm that came with my old (used) Lumix DSLR. Or something. :confused:

6. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle Well-Known Member

But that is not Full Frame is it ?

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I took my 14-24 out yesterday and it really is a great lens but... the number of subjects for which it is suitable are limited. I was in the Temple Garden at Langley Park (near Black Park if the name is unfamiliar). The garden is a rhododendron garden and at this time of year is in full bloom with tall bushes along relatively narrow paths, plenty of scope one would imagine for a wide angle lens. I didn't actually make much use of the shorter end though and in truth I could probably have managed quite nicely with the 24-70 most of the time. Carrying the extra lens wasn't a problem as I had a jacket with a suitable pocket, the other option was an additional body wasn't practical.

I conclude that the 14-24 is a nice lens to have but it isn't the most useful. Ideally I would have something like an 18-70 f2.8 FX but nobody makes one of those.

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  8. Stephen Rundle

This is why I got rid of mine, when I was shooting venues, stage etc I used it a few times, in fact I think you have probably convinced me it is a lens not worth having, thanks

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I've had mine since 2013 so I have probably lost around 50% of what I paid for it. I use it perhaps a couple of times a year but I'll probably be keeping it as none of the alternatives really appeal and would cost more than I might get for the 14-24.

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

It was in response to why people mentioned 18mm focal length - that's why because of familiarity with kit lenses

11. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Since it's the 'wide end' you miss, why not look for a prime lens? The problem is that they all appear to have large maximum apertures which makes them large, heavy and expensive.

For £360
    https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Tamron-14mm-f2.8-SP_274043.html

For £550 (but is it a better lens or the same lens?)
    https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Nikon-AF-14mm-f/2.8-D_262172.html

I have an old model Sigma 10-20 used on an APS-C body (so equivalent to 15-30 on your full frame body), and it's one of my favourite lenses. The maximum aperture of F4.5-F5.6 has never been a problem for me.

12. Stephen Rundle

MUCH appreciated

13. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I only looked at LCE because I have used them myself for used stuff, but I have also used FFordes.
    I believe you could look at the websites for all the regular advertisers in AP, since other Forum members have recommended most of them on other threads in response to queries about buying used stuff.

Also, the Pentaxforums website has a very useful listing of current and old-model lenses from the major 'third party' manufacturers like Tamron and Sigma, with helpful comments and ratings from members who own or have used them. So it's use is not restricted to Pentax camera users like me, because most of the third-party lenses are available in various fittings. Usually the size and weight are provided too.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/

A final question: if you buy a wide angle prime, do you really need autofocus? Manual focus and large depth of field may be all you need, and the lens will be less expensive and perhaps lighter too. I'm sure I've read good things about this lens in AP, and if I had a full-frame body I would look for one of these. The only problem would be that I could not use my beloved the circular ND grad filter that is on my Sigma 10-20 for most of the shots I take with it (the Samyang has a large front lens element).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/samyang-14mm-f2-8-ed-if-umc.html

14. Stephen Rundle

I am more than happy with M/F lenses