1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Upgraded My Desktop Again.

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Bipolar, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

Yesterday I installed a 500 gig solid state hard drive in my desktop and then installed
    Linux Mint 20 with the Mate desktop on it. I loaded Mint 20 on a USB drive and
    had it installed in around 20 minutes. A couple hours of adding free software and tweaking
    a few things and its done and up and running. The SSD sure improved the speed.
    I built my desktop from parts and upgraded it several times, its on its 5th main board.
    I installed Brave browser and the hosts file from: https://someonewhocares.org/hosts/.
    I see that the Tor browser is available from inside Brave.
    The computer is now very fast and Brave works way faster than Firefox or Chromium.
    I have not used Microsoft's crap in my home computers for close to 20 years.

My new desktop.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Microsoft Crap? Haven't heard of that one - what does it do? :p

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I use all three main operating systems and each has its swings and its roundabouts. The current version of Windows 10 has become my internet default because it runs very smoothly on the LG Gram. OS-X remains my choice for most other things and Ubuntu is currently used mostly for backups.

None of these operating systems can fairly be described as crap.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

By definition, it doesn't "do" anything, it just takes up space on the hard drive/SSD and uses memory for no good reason. I assume, since I am no longer working, that it is the stuff that corporate builds of Windows remove to make it stable and efficient.
    No but there are things in Windows that can be fairly described as bloat. As an example, if I go into "Settings" in Windows 10 at the top of the page are three Icons; One Drive, Windows Update and Rewards. The first two are Green, meaning no action is required, the third Rewards is yellow meaning action is required. Except that the action required is that Microsoft want me to sign up to something the to search with Bing, Play games and/or accept spurious emails to gain points and spend them. There is no option to opt out of rewards. No, it isn't serious but it is annoying and to some extent distracting. I only use Windows for a couple of specific programmes. It is a long way from what it was but it isn't all it could be. MacOS (not OS X any more) has its faults too but I find them easier to live with.