1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

I need to borrow a lens!

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by robbinsd, Aug 24, 2014.

1. robbinsd

robbinsd Member

Hey guys! I am shooting with a 6D canon and love shooting wildlife. I am currently using a 400mm canon f5.6 L lens and it's amazing. Really amazing! Another of the lenses that I am currently using is the samyang 14mm prime on my 6d which i bought to photograph the stars.
    Here is a picture of some red kites that I took recently up in Mid wales!
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, i'm digressing.
    I have been asked to do a friends wedding and have ordered a canon L 100mm lens which i intend on shooting the majority of the wedding on. I've had an email to say that it is not going to be delivered in time, and i know this is a crazy bit of desperation, but if ANYBODY has a decent lens (50-100mm) compatible on a full frame canon, PLEASE would you let me borrow it? I will give up L series canon as a deposit for you to borrow while i borrow your lens. Im based in South Wales, UK. Dan

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

What other lenses do you have for that 6D? neither a 400mm, a 100mm or the Samyang prime appear ideal for a wedding, personally I would use a 24-105mm if funds allowed and a 50mm prime if I was on a tight budget.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Agree that 100 mm seems a funny choice but it is your choice for a reason!

You should be able to hire lenses at reasonable short order. I haven't done it but it is quite often recommended here for weddings. The first hire might have more paperwork than the umpteenth as I think your hire history is important.

You could also hire a 500 F4 for the kites. Nice pic. I like my 400 5.6 too.

4. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Am I alone in wondering why someone would make 4 posts, then ask to "borrow" an expensive lens?

:rolleyes:

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

To be fair the poster is leaving a 400mm f5.6L as security should somebody be prepared to do this.

6. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi Roger, Absolutely right - a 'standard' is a much better all round wedding lens although I do know someone who used to shoot almost all of a wedding on the F/T 35-100mm zoom and may well still do so. Cheers, Oly

7. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Can't you cancel the order for the lens and buy elsewhere?
    If it's the 100mm f/2.8L macro, Warehouse Express have it in stock for delivery tomorrow!

8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi Dan, If you draw a blank on this one, give Calumet Bristol a call and ask to hire a 100mm. If their Hire Dept don't have one if you give enough notice they will get one sent over from another branch. Cheers, Oly

9. robbinsd

robbinsd Member

If you read the original post, youd see that I was offering my 400mm L series lens as a deposit, What are you suggesting?

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I imagined it was the 100 F2 but this does not appear to be commonly stocked - I looked at Mifsuds who usually carry a fair range.

11. robbinsd

robbinsd Member

I know 100mm seems a strange choice for a wedding, and I in no way set on just using a 100mm lens. The reason that I ordered that particular lens is because I also needed a top end macro (obviously not for the wedding). I would get much more use from buying the 100mm f2.8 L in the long run.
    I also have a 35-100mm f3.5 lens which would be fine for the wedding really but it does not compete with the L for sharpness.
    Any lens between 50-100mm would be fine for the wedding, and to one of the original posters, I never had any intentions of using either a 14mm prime or a 400mm for any part of the shoot.
    Dan

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  12. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

13. Sejanus.Aelianus

Not suggesting, just wondering: why someone would expect complete strangers to lend them an expensive piece of kit, even on the promise of depositing another lens.

14. robbinsd

robbinsd Member

Why does this confuse you? did you not understand something? I am giving a lens worth 4x the amount of the lens that I want to borrow. I would happily let somebody local pick my lens up for an exchange for another. If anyone wants to borrow a 400mm lens, be by guest, I am always more than happy to help a fellow photographer.
    Dan

15. robbinsd

robbinsd Member

Yeah I agree with you, for the wedding, the 100mm is far from ideal, but it will do the job, I would love if somebody here is willing to lend a 24-105L. I just didn't want to spend the additional £50 for a 2 day hire, if it comes to it, I will have to. Just thought somebody here would want to borrow my L for theirs. Straight local pick up swap.
    Any takers?

16. Sejanus.Aelianus

Perhaps you are and perhaps you are not. However, if a stranger came up to me in a pub and asked me to lend him my lens, my reply would be a definite no. As this forum is even more anonymous than a pub, it seems to me that one should be cautious of such a request from someone who has now made 11 posts, 5 of them on this thread.

Other people, may, of course, take a different view.

17. robbinsd

robbinsd Member

If you're answer was no, then you need not have reply. I think it has been made clear that this is a genuine request, given the fact that I am openly offering my most expensive 400mm lens.

18. Sejanus.Aelianus

On the other hand, why would I not reply? After all, a word of caution is always in order.

19. robbinsd

robbinsd Member

Sure thing buddy, keep it up. You're doing an exquisite job.

20. Sejanus.Aelianus

I was wondering how long it would be, untill you started taking that tack.