1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some inspiration or a "project"?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Pete Bony, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

I have been a bit out of the photographic scene for a while now due to illness and am getting really bored. I am currently stuck mainly at home as I am nursing a fractured shoulder so can't drive and I am climbing the walls with boredom.
    I enjoy Macro Photography and I love my Wild Life Photography and have most of the gear necessary for both but I simply can not get any inspirational thoughts to occupy my time and get me back into my photography again
    How or where do you guys get your inspiration or what would you suggest as some sort of a "photographic project" for me to work on please?

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'd linit my area for photography if I were you. Choose a likely spot and photograph only in that area. Macro micro life and anything else occuring just in that area. I recall someone doing this in a one square yard marked off area. It really was quite fascinating the more he studied it

You needn't be so restrictive though. I know some of my best efforts have come with limited options - either of time (30 minutes max) or area - within 100 yards of home. Sometimes urgency makes it work. Just wandering around can be soul destroying.
    Good luck.

EightBitTony likes this.
  3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Perhaps it may be the time to possibly try a completely different direction from your comfort-zone (note all the vagueness there!). I don't know your location but given you have an injury it needs to be something where you don't need to carry a great deal of gear and since you are currently unable to drive something fairly accessible will be required. One that comes to mind is some kind of townscape project (or ruralscape! if you live in the country), which allows easy access from home and easy return if you feel you need to go home.

How do I get inspiratiom? Often I don't! What I do is generally carry a CSC with me a lot of the time (unless shopping locally), sometimes it stays in the bag, others I will take a couple of shots, occasionally quite a few. Often rubbish probably, but just from time to time something just appears, an example, I was in Newcastle when in the main shopping street a man carrying a unicycle appeared with his young son riding another with one hand in his father's empty hand. I speeded up to keep up with them and managed one shot, just as a couple of ladies spotted them and started laughing, a split-second capture.

4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Sometimes if I’m in a photographic ‘funk’ I just leave the camera behind and just observe things around me. Quite often this will kickstart a photo opportunity.

peterba likes this.
  5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

How are you off for spiders in the house and garden (this may be a bad plan if you don't like them!)?

Adrian

6. Catriona

It is funghi time isn't it?

EightBitTony likes this.
  7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Take one of your collection of photo-books at random.
    Open it at a random picture.
    That's your subject.
    Reinterpret it in your very own style.

I just hope it isn't a Mapplethorpe or Carlos-Clarke volume... :eek: ;)

dream_police and Catriona like this.
  8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

And if it is, please, unless it is just a flower, do not post it in appraisals!

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Sudek later stuff?

S

peterba and Catriona like this.
  11. Catriona

I loved doing the Sudek emulation. I reckon a good one for Jan/Feb though. ;)

steveandthedogs and peterba like this.
  12. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Excellent, Steve. Among my favourite stuff.

steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Water droplet photography (cliche, but technically challenging and lots of scope of experimentation)
    Smoke photography (from incense sticks, don't mistake these for actual fairies)
    Time-lapse photography of something in the garden. A plant, tree, anything which might change over hours or days.

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  14. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I agree, Martin. In addition to leaving the camera behind, I have also found it useful to take just a pair of binoculars, or perhaps a good-quality magnifying glass. Simply inspecting things around us can be inspiring, and interesting - even a little... therapeutic.

I recall an art teacher handing out a small everyday item (e.g. cups, pencil sharpeners, and so on) to each person, as a subject for a still-life pencil-sketch. After the class had sketched them, he suggested just sitting and looking - really looking - at the item for five minutes (seems an eternity!), noting all the nuances of shape, shadow, specular highlights, etc. - then sketching it again. The second set of sketches were far more accomplished than the first. A lesson in looking that carries through to photography, IMO.

steveandthedogs likes this.