1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Need A Printer

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Craig20264, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I have had enough online printing headaches during the last few months to last me a lifetime, so I have decided the time is now right for me to start thinking about printing my own. I will obviously do the usual online review circuit, but it looks such a minefield. Do any of you have a recommendation for a good printer. Budget wise, well you tell me. At the moment there isn't a set budget as I want to produce prints capable of being exhibited etc.
    I realise the printer is only the beginning, and is only as good as the information fed into it, so I will be taking care of monitor calibration, paper profiles, the whole nine yards, and realise it will take some effort to set up correctly.
    I just want a good quality printer to set me on my way.
    Any advice appreciated.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

When I looked into buying a printer - nearly 10 years ago - the recommendations were Epson or Canon. I bought an A3+ printer - the Canon 9500 II which was the top model of its day. Results are very good, the price of ink horrendous, the choice of paper utterly confusing. There are so many different finished that you can buy. If you want bigger than A3+ then you are in a different ball game as the large format printers are aimed at the commercial market and only really make sense if you are making many tens of prints a day.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have the Canon Pixma pro 9000 mark 2. Apart from the model number Pete's description could exactly apply to mine.

4. Craig20264

Thanks Pete and Roger. Yes A3 would be the maximum I would need. My three normal print sizes are 12x8, 10x10 or 10x8.

5. PeteRob

The difference between the printers is that the 9000 uses dye inks and the 9500 pigment inks.

6. Craig20264

I'm guessing one is longer lasting than the other? As in permanency.

7. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Interested in your online printer issues. I do not print enough to justify a decent home printer and when I have tried in the past I found it very frustrating and costly. I therefore use online printers and have only had one problem. Whether it was down to me incorrectly calibrating my screen or the printers was difficult to tell.

8. PeteRob

Yes but I believe that paper technology has evolved to the point that it is largely academic. If you are into big panoramas check max paper sizes. Canon have more restrictions than Epson.

9. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Epson sc p600, don’t use non Epson inks, find a good workflow and stick to it. Once you get it right it isn’t expensive. The print head issues have all gone away, there is a huge choice of papers but you only need a couple and with sample packs and and a bit of research it’s fairly easy to make your choices. Print permanence is great (mostly 100 years plus) highly recommended for control freaks, only downside is nobody to blame.

10. Craig20264

Thanks for the replies all. The Epson sc p600 does seem to tick more boxes than the others in a similar price bracket, so I'm thinking this is the one for me.

11. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

For me photography is printing. Always has been, always will be. I still yearn for the old days but there we are, must move on.

I think one mistake made by many is that they compare digital v analogue, it's a mistake, roughly digital is technically far superior in technical terms and analogue has an almost tactile aesthetic appeal.

But to get back to the subject. I only print black and white so all my remarks are for that, colour, I plead complete ignorance and total lack of interest, but I am led to believe the ultimate test for a printer is B/W.

So, recommendations.

Epson SC 600/900, Marrutt continuous ink system. Now Marrutt supply a large selection of papers mostly go German origin, I use them, but the choice is yours. Marrutt are perhaps the most helpful people in this business. John Read is always at the end of the phone or his son Paul. They will work with you and see you through any teething problems however dim you are. ( Not insinuating you are but I am. They also provide free hard copy profiles for their paper.

Actually in respect of profiling with help from John I have developed a workflow which cuts out profiles and uses the Epson Advanced Printing Mode, thus allowing subtle tones to be applied.,

Printing costs? Going the Epson Marrutt route are roughly 20% of using Epson. I three years of moderate usage, perhaps a couple of A3s a week I have never had any problems. In fact I did have one totally my fault, let the matt black run dry during a change over, disaster, Epson advised buying another printer. Countless calls to printing service companies without a result. Marrutts advised taking it to a little man they knew, he serviced the printer whilst his wife cooked me a breakfast and the outcome, one new printer and one happy bunny.

Look up Marrutt on Youtube and sit in on one of John's printing lectures.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  12. Craig20264

Very informative Brian, and thank you for the detailed reply. I will certainly have a sit through one of the lectures later, whilst Mrs Craig is engrossed in Dancing On The Celebrity Jungles Bigger Brother, or whatever it's called.

13. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

My pleasure.

I suppose Polegate is a bit far to go for you, only a factory visit is well worth while. I go down to Brighton every couple of months and always pop in for a stock up and chat.

Craig20264 likes this.