1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I may go over to the dark side.

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Salazar, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Went to the Bedford Butterfly house today. Finished one reel. Put another reel into the F80. Did not wind on properly. Next a, after half the reel burned, I got an error message on the camera. Thought it might be a battery problem. On and off , nope, change batteries, nope E is still flashing. Do a rewind. Only thing was that it did not seem to take long, if anytime at all. So being caution waited till I got home and removed film in the changing bag. Reel fully rewound. Checked cammera seems to work. I will put another reel in latter, and take a chance. Unless anyone has some cautious advice.

2. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Nothing wrong with the camera. But I did notice one thing, well two things actualy. You know that funny rubery thing round the eyepiece. It was upside down. Making the opening of the film door odd. Like it was catching on something. Never noticed it before. Funny thing is it was the same on the F60.

Could it be that Death Eaters are having some fun.

3. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Ah, it was all so simple once - you had a rewind knob to watch to see if the film had taken properly, and no-one to blame but yourself if you didn't make sure of it. :)

Yes, you could go over to the dark side, if you don't feel you can trust the '80 any more - or you could get an FM3A for less money than a D70s, or even a great condition FM2n and save a whole chunk of cash, and return to real 'hands-on' photography, where the only part that's a problem is the nut behind the camera! ;-)

Well, more seriously, I don't know - if it were me, I'd attribute the whole episode to a mere glitch and carry on as normal. Only if it happened again would I begin to really question the camera.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Had this with an F90 and an F5, in both cases it was the film, not the camera as the fix with the F5 was to simply release the film, take up the slack with the rewind knob and carry on.

Load another film and have another go.

Digitals aren't perfect either, they just have different glitches.

5. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Well, put a new reel in and it seems ok. As for the FM3A, now Huw, you know it would go to a good home. But I don't think you're about to pop yer clogs yet so I may look at the FN2N. In fact off to ebay for a butchers hook.

6. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

I'm about to buy an F80, Don't worry me!

7. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Steve goes Canon...can I believe my eyes???? Well I suppose he had to learn the hard way....

Graeme

8. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

This really sound less like a problem with film and more like a problem with your camera.

9. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Humid in there? If so, maybe that affected the camera. :D

10. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Listen, Haggis breath, I will never, never go over to Canon. Except for the next Printer.

11. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Yes I thought it may be the Humidity. Especaly after the day before we got caught in a rain storm at Howletts.

No the problem occured after the Tropical house and we had been outside for over an hour.

Having checked the camera over I now susspect the film may not of loaded correctly. Although i did need to correct the film takeup on first loading.

Paerhaps the film was taken up too loosly on the take up reel and the IR sensor dected the problem, or the torque on the take up reel was not correct. Anyway I hope I go some shots.

Off to Woburn soon.

12. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

You might not, but BigWill seems ever hopeful! :)

You know it makes sense - good little camera, the FM2N. Ah, the joys of good old manual photography - the feel of a silky smooth focussing ring on a lovely solidly built AI-S, proper depth of field scales, a shutter release that you can feel all the way through its mechanical action, the quiet satisfaction of squeezing the 37th frame out of a 36 frame roll, and even the good, healthy discipline of a wind-on lever. Ah yes, you know it makes sense! :)

13. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Huw I've got my eyes on one on ebay.

14. sey

sey Well-Known Member

Huw's right you know, yes, go for it Steve :D

15. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Well is at £67 at the mo. Now is that a reasonable price. BTW and I may make a complete fool of myself (Shut up sniggering Will) But what mount is the FN2.

16. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

From dealers, with guarantee, FM2s generally sell for £150-250 or so, depending on condition. The mount is the Nikon F mount, like all their SLR cameras, but the linkages are AI-type, so older non-AI lenses would need modification before use, and G-type lenses, without an aperture ring, would be unuseable - unless you like taking all your pictures at minimum aperture! :)

By the way, the more recent 'n' version had a strengthened shutter, and is generally preferred, though of course there are zillions of non-n models out there working perfectly well, and plenty of plain FMs as well.

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Mine is a straight FM2 and is perfectly servicable. What I don't like: it's not as smooth in operation as some of my other cameras (but then that's true of all my Nikons except perhaps the FE, and doesn't in any way effect the operation - and I have much rougher cameras). What I do like: most things, really, except the legacy issues from the Contax cloning days.

18. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

'Legacy issues from the Contax cloning days' in the FM2? What are you smoking today, Nick? ;-)

Okay, educate me - what are they? I'm seriously intrigued!

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Same things that are still there on the D2X and F6 - direction of mounting of the lens, and direction of rotation thereof for focus. I both admire Nikon's consistancy, and personally find it a PITA. Not an issue in the slightest for a through-and-through Nikonite, but it trips me up every time!

20. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Oh good grief, I thought you meant something important! :)