1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate my Panasonic LX7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by photogeek, May 25, 2014.

1. photogeek

photogeek Well-Known Member

As a long term sufferer of GAS (Gear Aquisition Syndrome) for the past few years I have been trying to find a small compact camera to take to gigs that has a reasonable zoom, manual control, shoots RAW and a lens / ISO combination that lets you take shots in low light. i have tried several cameras including an LX3 (not long enough zoom) a Fuji F600 (long enough zoom but too slow to respond and image not gre3atest) a leica M8 lots of control, fantastic image but no zoom and for the past few months the LX7 - F1.4 lens, RAW, 90mm equielent lens, 10.1 Mp sensor, great control including apperture ring and so far has been spot on metering wise at most gigs - I now post mainly jpgs straight from camera on Flickr as they are that good.

So I now find myself wandering into camera shops and electrical stores with nothing to look for, apart from that I realy enjoy this camera.:)

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Isn't there some ancient Oriental saw about it being better to travel than to arrive? You may have just provided support for it.

Anyway, you can now start searching the internet and/or camera shops for interesting (ie strange and pointless) accessories. AP did an article on such... ;)

3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

When I saw the thread title the hackles came up on the back of my neck. How could anyone hate the LX7..?? Fortunately...

Indeed, the LX7 is a wonderful camera. Soon I'll be off on my yearly trek in the Austrian Tirol. Normally I take the SLR plus various lenses. This time it's just the LX7 and small tripod. Of course I won't have the total focal range as before, but I won't be weighed down either.

4. photogeek

5. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I have been very tempted by the Leica D-Lux 6 {essentially the same camera} as an upgrade from the LX2. Fortunately, I have been able to fight it off over the last few days without resource to anti-biotics. :eek:

I'm confused. The OP's Thread title is contradicted by the text of his post ... :confused:

6. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Thought he meant Fleet Foxes but am not so sure ...

8. southonline

nah, its a band called Foxes - going to check some of her vids later

9. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

[Harry H Corbett mode]You dirty old man![/harry H corbett mode] ;):p

10. southonline

so you've seen them as well :p

11. photogeek

Funny how my FOXES pics on Flickr have been viewed 60 times, My CHVRCHES pics feturing the delightful Lauren Mayberry viewed 35 Times and the pics of the Manic Street Preachers - more famous and all men has 2 views. all Pics taken with LX7 :) - but the stats say a lot about the people who view my Pics - LOL

12. southonline

I think you'll find your FOXES photos will get a lot more attention as shes going to be in Doctor Who this year .. ;O)

13. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Just to go back to the original point, I think I have the cure: the TZ60 is out!

I bought my TZ40 after going to the shop to get a LX7. While I really liked the speed and handling on the LX7, that 24~480 (equivalent) was just too tempting and I've been well pleased with the TZ40 for the year I've had it.

The one thing I did fancy on the LX7 was the viewfinder attachment but it made the whole kit just too bulky for my needs.

So, TZ60 - that lens AND a built in EVF. Time for you to tootle down to the camera shops again? :D

14. photogeek

Nice Zoom on T60 and it does RAW :) but f 3.3 is not great for low light - love the f 1.4 of the LX7 :)

15. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Yes, that fast lens would be a tie-breaker for many people. :)

I've just made the decision to pass on the TZ-60 and keep the TZ-40. I'm buying a couple of Sigma DN-A lenses for my Olympus Mini, instead. At the current prices, that's around £100 left in my sporran and, when all is said and done, 28 sq-mm isn't quite the same as 220 sq-mm, is it?

:D