1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

I feel I can assert without fear of contradiction at all in any way ...

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by willie45, Aug 11, 2016.

1. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

.... that few bands have been as overrated as AC/DC

Am I right bros? Or am I right?

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

This is Appraisals, so you are wrong by definition.

Catriona likes this.
  3. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

The Doors. Elvis. Any of the Ratpack crowd...

4. willie45

Sh1Te. How did it get in Appraisals? Can any kind mod move it to the Lounge where it will doubtless provoke much interesting discussion? :eek:

5. willie45

The Doors? The Doors! May you be forgiven :eek:

Mind you, I agree re the truly tedious Sinatra and his cronies.

6. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Pink Floyd and The Beatles. Sorry, but I just didn't get it.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I'm with you on The Doors and most of the Ratpack. My nomination for overrated goes to Oasis.

8. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

The Smiths, Micheal Jackson, Madonna, Meat Loaf. (Not sure all of these can be called bands)

9. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

Quote : I feel I can assert without fear of contradiction at all in any way .

You clearly are not married .......

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Amen to that!

11. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Is that 'definitely' or just 'maybe'?

I'm reluctant to brand bands as 'overrated' because every time I do, it comes back to bite me on the bottom - usually in the form of me hearing a song the next day and saying "this is good - who is it?" and then finding out it's the group I wrote-off the day before.

One thing that I will admit to disliking - and I hasten to add that this is nothing against the band itself - are that particular band of rabid Queen fans that you sometimes encounter.

Oh yes, and no-good scrotes who treated their parents like rubbish but fill up with tears every time they hear 'The Living Years' by Mike and the Mechanics - I don't like them either.

Cheers, Jeff

peterba likes this.
  12. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Well played, Sir...! :)

13. willie45

I'm slightly mystified by both the references.

I'm not sure how these Queen fans display their rabid nature. I haven't found them to be worse than others thoughI thought Queen went right down the bog after 1976 albums and when Freddie disappeared up his own arce.

I can see how the M and the M thing would be a bit funglifying but I haven't met any of these either.

14. willie45

I was hoping to provoke the forumites to action by my assertion ;)

15. willie45

Re Oasis, I agree. They came along at a time when mediocrity was ahead of most of the competition by a fair margin.

16. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I used to work in my local pub and the landlady was one of those Queen fans. She was able to control the jukebox from behind the bar and on one fateful busy Saturday evening she decreed that 'Barcelona' by Freddie Mercury and Monserrat Cabaelle was the very best song in the entire world. She put the song on the jukebox and announced that nobody was allowed to speak until the entire song had finished. She was serious. Every time somebody spoke she restarted the song from the beginning. I'd say that twenty is a fairly conservative estimate of the number of times the song was played before her long-suffering husband managed to lure her out of the bar area with promises of a bag of chips from Mr Pang's chip emporium across the road.

As for the Mike and the Mechanics thing - you should consider yourself lucky that you haven't encountered these people. They tend to lurk about in the gutters of society...my local pub being an example of such a place.

Cheers, Jeff

17. willie45

You need to find some new pubs, Jeff :D

18. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

This boils down to "Any band I don't like is overrated".

I've never been a great fan of pop music anyway, and the stuff I liked in my youth I still like now: Incredible String Band, Jefferson Airplane, Al Stewart, Leonard Cohen, Steeleye Span...

Really popular pop music is normally ephemeral in the extreme, and deservedly so.

Cheers,

R.

AlanW likes this.
  19. willie45

It most certainly does :)