1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

I can't open saved RAW files

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Jan08, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Jan08

Jan08 Active Member

I have saved several RAW files on an external hard drive, taken with Canon EOS and now I cannot open them. I have tried Preview, Digital professional 4, Photoshop - anything that's available, but it says the format isn't recognised. In other cases, the folder is empty. I'm using a MacBook . Any ideas how I can retrieve these.?

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

It sounds like the files, or the drive, are corrupt. Without slightly more info, not sure it'll be that easy to help.

3. Jan08

Jan08 Active Member

Thanks. It’s not the case with all of them. Hard to tell

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi, it is impossible to guess.

How did you save the files in the first place? Which camera are they from? Is the software later than the camera the files came from? Is the external hard drive formatted for a mac? A mac can read but not write to an NTFS Drive (formatted by Windows) unless you have other software - I use that by Paragon. Have you run diagnostics on the disk to check if it is working properly?

5. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I assume you still have the original files undeleted ?

If you are simply "saving" them one just copies and pastes them from a card then checks some to ensure they have copied correctly.

IF you have deleted them from the card PM me

It is VERY rare that anything is really "lost" totally unrecoverable.

6. Jan08

Jan08 Active Member

Thanks for your interest. Attempting to answer all your questions. I saved the files on to my computer hard drive. Then I transferred them to the external drive. I believe the ext drive is formatted for Mac as many other files are present. I do understand that problem because I recently bought a new ext drive and had problems formatting it. (This isn’t the one I’m referring to ) however I will run a diagnostics check if I can. The camera is a canon 650d. The original software hasn’t worked for a while and I downloaded the latest one Digital professional 4 but I’m using Lightroom for editing now.. it’s so complex, but I wondered if anyone had had a similar problem and if they had solved it.

7. Jan08

Jan08 Active Member

Thank you for attempting to help.
    I don’t believe I have the originals on an SD card. I think I remember reformatting that card. I will check this Later as I am not at home at the moment and have left a couple of cards there.I usually double check they exist in their new home before deleting them from my Mac. My Mac was getting full, so had to reorganise.
    when I double click on the folders on the ext drive, the RAW files are there, but will not open . The way my Mac is set up at the moment, photoshop opens them. So I try ‘open with’ but nothing else works. So I tried the latest canon software (newer than camera) and when I open the folder it doesn’t even display the RAW files.
    It seems as if they are there. I tried moving one back to the Mac drive but it still didn’t open.
    I just wondered if anyone had had a similar experience and found something to open the files.

Jan

8. PeteRob

Sounds like you should run diagnostics on the disk - including your MacBook HDD. I haven't myself used the mac disk diagnostic/repair tools so I can't help with their use. If DPP wasn't working but now is with a new version I'd hazard a guess that you did a Mac update to Catalina. That breaks a lot of older software because Catalina is a 64-bit only system. I found out the hard-way because I hadn't realised Catalina was out (it was 2 days old) when I started the update to what I thought was the previous version. I had been running Sierra. I run a Time Machine volume for back-up on the mac and then a separate HDD keeping a third copy of my photos - they still just about fit still on the mac HDD but I'll soon have to move them because the disk is getting full. A straight copy from mac HDD to an external volume should have worked. The only thing I can think of is that the disk was unplugged or the MacBook went to sleep during the copy (or both). My mac seems to take an extraordinarily long time to think about copying a large number of files across disks - it'll mess around thinking, give a prediction of some hours, then actually do the copy reasonably quickly (minutes not predicted hours) once it gets going.

Good luck! Don't empty the "bin" on the MacBook just in case the files are still there.

9. Stephen Rundle

Reformatting is not a problem pm me

10. Stephen Rundle

PM sent

11. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

RawTherapee I use it in Ubuntu but I believe it's cross platform so should work in Windows 10. Downlad and try it - it's free. :) I've never had it fail with any .raw file.

12. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Are you trying to 'double click' the files to open them? It might be that the system software just hasn't registered the format.

Have you tried opening them directly from within the software you're using?

13. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Just tried RawThereapee in Windows 10 it works perfectly and on all files JPEG etc. Great for use as a general photo manipulation program.

14. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I use FastStone, also free, and it has never been picky about which !flavour of raw it was opening Well worth a try , but note that after an initial edit it is best to save as TIF not in the original raw. Keep the raw unchanged as evidence!

Jan08 likes this.
  15. Jan08

Jan08 Active Member

Yes - i've tried 'open with' using different software. I use canon as last resort as it was an upgrade and didn't work as well as original.

16. Jan08

Jan08 Active Member

I use a mac - but will look for it

17. Jan08

Jan08 Active Member

Anything is worth a try Thanks

18. Jan08

Jan08 Active Member

Sorry - tried to reply , but kept getting returned unless I log in to this site. I don't have the originals on an SD card as I reformatted the card. Thought they would be safe on hard drive.

19. Jan08

Jan08 Active Member

I have finally found a free download that works with mac (apart from the ones I have) and it says that the files in question are 'not a picture. Guess that's it. Somewhere along the line I lost them. I should have any jpgs that correspond somewhere. Thanks for all suggestions

20. PeteRob

You still need to check the disk for errors. File copy should not fail like that.

The "not a picture" just means whatever it is you are using doesn't recognise the file. Some software will try to read the actual file (the file will contain information which says what it is) and report an error if the file is corrupt. Other software will just look at the file name, parse it, and see if the file extension matches with what it is expected to open. Only then will it try to open it. Raw files are "not pictures" although they do contain a small jpg which can be previewed to show what the file data relates to. If an icon view of a folder of raw files shows images then the operating system knows enough about the file type to extract this little jpg.

I have noticed that if my iMac goes to sleep it drops my Garmin (I get a warning about data loss and telling me to properly eject the device) which mounts as an external disk drive readable with finder. This doesn't happen (or should I say hasn't happened yet) with either of my HDDs mounted as i) TimeMachine backup (mac formatted) or ii) the NTFS disk mounted with Paragon drivers. These are both mains powered so are not taking charge through the USB connection. If your MacBook went to sleep part way through the file copy and disconnected your external HDD this might be why you had data loss, but I'd expect that you would get a warning that this had happened when it was woken up again.