1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humidity Grain?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Clive, Jun 30, 2001.

1. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

The other day I developed a 120 Tri-X film, exposed at 200, in Perceptol 1 plus 1. It should have given reasonably fine-grained negatives. However, the film took an absolute age to dry. And then - grain like I've never seen grain before - not the proverbial golf balls, more like Superman's ..., well, you get the drift. It happened to be the hottest and most humid day of the year (and processing was taking place in an airless spare bathroom). Anyone experienced this before? Today, a 220 HP5 at 800 in ID-11 one plus one and all back to normal again.
    Clive

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Either you have just got big balls (highly unlikely) or reticulation?
    Big(nuts)Will

3. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

The two options are not mutually exclusive. Hadn't thought of reticulation - does that look like big balls?
    <font color=red>#

4. BigWill

Can't say whether your negs look like me in the nude, but watch the temperature of the final rinse water. Bit of a long shot though as cold rinse water is usually the perogative of winter developing. What we need here is a real B&W dev expert. Any of you out there? We need your help!
    Big(dangely bits)Will

5. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

I thought reticulation gave you cracks, not big balls.
    <font color=red>#

6. BigWill

If you go for a dip in the sea around this time of year then you will know the true meaning of reverse-reticulation!
    Big(or in this case, not so big this water's bloody freezing!)Will

7. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

I've swam in your sea - at least on the Scottish side and it was so cold I thought I'd lost it. I've put two photos from the above mentioned film on the AP Gallery.
    Clive
    PS Think the Gulf Stream must miss out completely between Galloway and N. Ireland.

8. BigWill

9. phil

phil Well-Known Member

Don't know if its reticulation or over warm developer! but it makes a nice effect for the photo you posted so it can't be all bad!

&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt; Phil &lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt;

10. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Clive,

I've had a look at your print and I would initially rule out reticulation. Mind you it is almost impossible to suggest the cause without a close examination of the original negatives.

From the prints it would appear that the granularity is even over the entire surface, Reticulation does not have this effect, it actually warpes the emulsion and produces cracks. Anyone who has tried to get this effect will tell you that with modern emulsions it is extremely hard to achieve. For instance I would suggest processing solutions at 100' then plunging the film into ice cold water would be a starting point.

So if you and Will can stop polluting the Irish sea for a minute, I would suggest that you try working out what has caused the effect. Presuming of course that it wasn't a comedy of errors.

Brian.

11. phil

phil Well-Known Member

What temperature control did you use during the development and did you check the dev temp before and after. As you said it was a very hot day perhaps a long development time in a warm black single spiral tank (low liquid volume therefore more heat transfer esp. if agitated) and if it was held in hot little hands (no comments please will) did for you!

Just a thought!!!

&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt; Phil &lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt;

12. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Thanks Brian and Phil - the ambient temperature of the room and the solutions (made with distilled water which is kept in the darkroom) were all about the same. The washing was done with running water which was a mixture of hot and cold and at a pretty contstant temperature (all at about 23.5C). The only difference from other times was the excessive humidity of the bathroom - but I left the film in there to dry for about 6 hours after which I removed it to another room where it did start (and finish) drying.
    Clive

13. BigWill

...musta been your hot little hands then Clivey!
    Big(pretty darned hot stuff himself!)Will

14. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

A ponce with hot little hands? Sounds dangerous to me.
    <font color=red>#

15. BigWill

...no wonder you got great big balls!
    Big( in fact, the biggest cahoneys on the entire planet!)Will

16. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

My great big balls are getting famous - on the 1 o'clock news today..
    <font color=red>#

17. BigWill

...now look ere mush, it was a happy accident see, you will never be able to repeat it under laboratory conditions ever again! So quit boasting about your large thingeys!
    Big(mine are bigger than yours anyway!)Will

18. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Well, if you think yours are bigger than mine, I'll send the 'Daily Sport' along - they are running the story tomorrow - "Retired Doc Develops Enormous Balls" - but Pis-Artiste Irishman claims his are bigger. Then we will see!!
    <font color=red>#

19. BigWill

Well you just can't beleive everything you read in the Daily Sport. Wasn't that the paper that claimed that one Brian Tompkins had invented a Leica with an "easy load" film mechanism!
    Big(typical Clive, always talkin balls!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif)

20. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

You're right Will, I'm having a good laugh reading all the preceding posts between you and Clive. Other than that, I won't say a bloody thing! &lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif"&gt;