1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humber Bridge

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by fatsamurai, May 29, 2006.

1. fatsamurai

fatsamurai Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

From Wikipedia:

The Humber Bridge is the fourth-largest single-span suspension bridge in the world, near Kingston upon Hull in England. It spans the Humber estuary between Barton-upon-Humber on the south bank and Hessle on the north bank, connecting Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.

At the time of opening, the Humber Bridge was the longest single-span suspension bridge in the world, with a centre span of 1,410 metres. Its total length is 2,220 metres.

Each tower consists of a pair of hollow vertical concrete columns, each 155.5 metres tall. The columns tapering from 6 metres square at the base to 4.5 x 4.75 metres at the top. The bridge is designed to tolerate constant motion and bends more than three metres in winds of 80 mph (36 m/s). The towers, although both vertical, are not parallel, being 36 mm further apart at the top than the bottom as a result of the curvature of the earth.

There is sufficient wire in the suspension cables to circle the Earth nearly twice.

Better LARGE

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Interesting if somewhat "unsettling"! angle on that one!

BigWill

3. ElectricPics

ElectricPics Well-Known Member

Very different! That composition works well for me.

4. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Despite being at the university in Hull while the bridge was being built, I never did get round to photographing it. Good shot though I wonder whether the sepia-like effect is intentional or the way the colours turned out. I suppose I'd like a bit of detail under the bridge since there is so much of it in the picture.

5. fatsamurai

There wasn't a lot of color in the sky and the bridge itself is a rather dull gray so the 'sepia-like' effect was intentional.

I agree with you about the detail under the bridge. Although I made sure when I was processing that I didn't loose any detail, this shot was taken at about 9pm, so there wasn't that much detail to start with :)

6. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Why not! :)

Chris [​IMG] ...great stuff!

7. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

'cos they take it away just before dark and return it just after dawn . . . . . . :eek:

Nice picture, but am I the only one who finds the little white cloud distracting?
    My brain keeps saying "parachute" . . . . . . /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. fatsamurai

You are right actually. It is. I hadn't noticed it before.

9. APchris

APchris Well-Known Member

I love that dynamic angle. :cool:

This pic would look good any way you finished it - B&W, sepia, Yellow/orange sunset...

Great shot!

10. Fatbelly

Fatbelly Well-Known Member

Great photo,
    I like it