1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP5 pushed to 1600

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Mike-T, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Mike-T

Mike-T Well-Known Member

Which developer would give least visible grain and best shadow detail for HP5 pushed to ISO 1600? I may want to make quite big prints of these!

I currently only have Rodinal, but that will give me a (very) grainy image as far as I know.

All help appreciated as always,

Mike

2. robbybobby

robbybobby Well-Known Member

ID11 stock I would imagine would be quite fine. It's certainly much finer than Rodinal for all intents and purposes. If it's fine grain you want, you may better off pushing Delta 400 instead, or even pulling Delta 3200.
    Delta 3200 is pretty fine grained considering it's speed, although the stronger the dilution of ID11, the finer the grain and better detail.

Rob CRIPN

If something's not worth doing, it's worth forgetting about.

3. Mike-T

Mike-T Well-Known Member

I agree that Delta would have been a better choice, but I didnt have any at the time so pushed this instead. ID11 stock sounds a good idea so thank you for that.

One thing I would like to find out is more about this old post on this site:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showpost.pl?Board=Traditional&Number=1253&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=HP5 push&Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts

from Jack (Done&rundleCams) which is about half way down the thread.

It is all about pushing HP5. Thing is I cant see the picture anymore!! or which developer was used to get these supposedly excellent results! If anyone can provide a few details I would be grateful!!

Mike

4. CHIPS

CHIPS Well-Known Member

I found Microphen very good for HP5 at 800, 1600 & 3200. And FWIW found HP5 pushed more to my taste than Delta 3200 as rated or pulled

5. robbybobby

robbybobby Well-Known Member

Microphen will give harsher grain than ID11 - ID11 will work for the speeds he's talking about, and is a finer-grained developer. Microphen is better for higher dilutions and for really pushing the film hard, eg. HP5 to 6400 (which is possible).

Rob CRIPN

If something's not worth doing, it's worth forgetting about.

6. MattNova

MattNova Member

I don't know what he was using, but I concur that ID-11 is excellent for pushing 400 speed films to 1600 (I usually use neopan)
    Matt

7. Mike-T

Mike-T Well-Known Member

Thanks to all who replied - I'll get myself some ID11 then!

Mike

8. stan

stan Well-Known Member

Another one sees the light. I have just developed an HP5 in Ilford Ilfotech HC and when enlarging I could hardly see the grain thru my focus scope. In case you wonder what HC stands for it is HIGH CONCENTRATION. Its like syrup, very similar to T MAX developer.

9. stan

stan Well-Known Member

Hi
    Reading thru these posts on developers I now know that RODINAL is not the be all and end all Hee Hee Hee :=}
    Stan

10. Simon E.

Simon E. Well-Known Member

Microphen and its liquid offspring DD-X can be used at a film's normal rated speed, they don't have to be reserved for push-processing only. Unless you extend development times it these devs still provide suprisingly fine grain.

Using ID-11 when pushing will produce high contrast negs and isn't a route I'd recommend, especially for a 2-stop push.

Microphen will give a genuine speed increase of about 2/3 stop and does have the added benefit of controlling highlights a little better during extended development.

The pushability of a film/dev combination is a matter of personal taste; I find most ISO 400 films struggle beyond 1 stop, and even Delta 3200 (which should be called Delta 1000 in my book) suffers when rated above 1600.

Diluting Microphen will also dilute its ability to pull shadow detail from any film. For push-processing use it stock, not diluted. DD-X is used 1 4 under all conditions.

Simon.