1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"hoya" lens

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Phil_N_Flash, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Phil_N_Flash

Phil_N_Flash Well-Known Member

Our local Cash Converters has a Hoya 70 - 200mm f4 lens in @ £10, it seems quite tidy with no signs of fungus etc. So the question is "Is it likely to offer better resolution than the Vivitar 70 - 300 I'm presently using? Pentax K10D for the use of.

2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Who knows?

Both Vivitar and Hoya produced reasonably good lenses in the 1970s/80s that were adequate for the film SLRs of the time. They were mid-prices between cheapos like Paragon and the "own brands" of the top camera manufacturers.

But whether the Hoya is better than your existing Vivitar is anyone's guess. But at £10, you could almost certainly get your money back on eBay if you didn't like it.

3. Phil_N_Flash

Oh, I had the idea Hoya were more up-market - probably based on the price of Hoya filters.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I suspect the Hoya. like the Vivitar, is a badge engineered job made by one of a number of manufacturers. How good it is depends on what the specs were and who made it. Vivitar's own top line Series 1 lenses were made by something like 5 makers over the years with some variation in performance.

At a tenner it's worth giving it a pop I reckon.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'm pretty sure that Hoya lenses are effectively Tokinas. I'm also pretty sure Hoya have owned Tokina for many years. I had that on pretty good authority some years back.

As has been said, how can it not be worth a tenner?

6. Phil_N_Flash

Well many thanks to all for their helpful ideas, but in view of the fact that the Vivitar I already have exceeds the Hoya's focal length and it isn't likely to offer any other advantages, I think I'll give it a miss!

I have in the past bought things cheaply with a view towards re-selling them on Ebay but that never happens in practice! Plus I prefer to allow another photographer the chance of a bargain!

Many thanks again for the advice.

BTW, is it me or do some typed characters fail to register on this forum?

IT'S DRIVING ME CRACKERS!

7. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Haven't noticed any problem of that nature. What characters fail to "register"?

ąÿض¾øÆ¥

8. Phil_N_Flash

Any really, I'm not the fastest typist in the world but I seem to be too quick for this forum. And sometimes the Spacebar, Backspace, Delete and Enter key won't work.

Occasionally a sequence of letters will appear aligned vertically to the left! That is really maddening.

When I wrote this very thread title I set bold capitals but it came out normal lower case!

No problems with other forums.