1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

How's your weather?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Dec 15, 2018.

1. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

It’s a bit breezy down here but then we are about 500 miles away (ps, I’m not a Proclaimer).

dream_police and Catriona like this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Hmm. They could have changed to BST, you never know.
    A lot of damage here to trees and sheds and even a portacabin nearby shredded. My neighbour and I are still wondering if it was one of our chimney cowls she saw yesterday about 6pm, on the pavement. No longer there today and I can't see where it came from!

3. Catriona

Apparently we suffered a Sting Jet where the wind speed suddenly increases a lot! Not nice.

4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

No, not nice at all, but relieved that you're still OK, had been concerned.
    It did get a touch breezy here last night but just the edges of the storm.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

Thank you. I appreciate that.

6. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

You seem to be bearing the brunt of things there. Hope you are OK. Make the rest of us look like southern softies! :confused:

Catriona likes this.
  7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Been quite blustery here. It feels very cold out.

Catriona likes this.
  8. Catriona

The cowl that landed outside my garden wall was from a house two up from mine. He had retrieved it last night.

9. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I have been at sea in a force nine before, just once, and that tops out at 47 knots, 54mph. It was pretty horrendous - surfing downwind under bare poles, and trailing every warp onboard, and praying to keep her stern to the wind. I truly cannot imagine what your kinds of wind forces were like.

To fall back on Admiral Beaufort's original description beyond force ten, "Sea state defies description" is probably the closest one could get.

Catriona likes this.
  10. Catriona

Actually beyond force 10 and we've had winds even higher in 1989, the sea looks very strange.
    Flat with a white foam topping is how I can best describe it.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  11. DaveM399

I can predict a quick Google for that. That will interest my wife as she has a desire to watch all the extreme weather programmes.

Catriona likes this.
  12. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I have talked to some very experienced seamen over the years, who have seen that type of weather. I remember one comment from RN Commander, who said that you can't actually see the sea for the spindrift, spray and blown foam - "You just hope it's under there somewhere". Well, on ship, I guess you would! :D

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

Very true!

14. DaveM399

Back in January 1975 as a second trip engineer at sea, we encountered a force 12 storm in the N Atlantic on a trip to New Jersey. We made virtually no headway for three days and the height of the waves was something else. Didn’t get much sleep, and didn’t have much of an appetite either!

Catriona likes this.
  15. Catriona

I'm sure that was horrendous. I have seen the seas with massive waves, but once the wind gets beyond the 70mph (force 12) the sea does actually go white with spume and spray and you can't see waves. I have gone home in 100+mph winds and seen it from my bedroom window. I remember getting off the bus (allowed in those days) and being physically blown across the road and up my drive. I simply couldn't make the direction to my door and my husband had to come out and physically haul me in. My coat was being ripped off and inexplicably I was crying uncontrollably.

SqueamishOssifrage and DaveM399 like this.
  16. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a Sting Jet wind before, but that would have caused the damage done during the 'great storm' a few decades ago, which hit some woodland near me, ripping out trees, over an area about 30 yards wide, by almost half a mile long!

Catriona likes this.
  17. Catriona

I'm sure you've realised it's where the sting in the tail comes from.

18. Catriona

One funny thing happened. My blue bin jumped ouut and lay on the grass in the back garden - lid open. Apart from a few milk cartons escaping, the papers remained and all stayed dry! I was amazed. New bunjee and back in situ.

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Maybe the conditions to be on a boat designed to skulk in the deep ocean. I wouldn't fancy the job myself yet some people thrive on it.

20. Simon Leung

Simon Leung Well-Known Member

Sunny with a high of 6 Celsius, sunny again tomorrow (Tuesday) high of 4.