1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's your weather?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Dec 15, 2018.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Bit of snow here. Mrs S said it was 2 inches, I said how do you know and she just smiled...

DaveM399 likes this.
  2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

64F00EBE-8555-44BA-8091-F6726542D80A.jpeg

peterba and Catriona like this.
  3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Hmm, insurance. Should be covered as there were documented storm winds. But will it be cheaper in long run just to fix it ourselves rather than claim. Decisions decisions.

Catriona likes this.
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It's never cheap. I had a couple of slates replaced this year and it was £130. Depends how high your roof is too. Would they need scaffolding, for example? My old roofer was excellent but crazy. He would clamber all over it. In town, the one I had was more cautious!

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

And just like that it's vanished

Catriona likes this.
  7. Catriona

Still a sprinkling around here.

8. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

We’ve had three showers of hail and one clap of thunder so far. It’s chuffing chilly too.

9. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Clear skies, still very windy and cold with temps around -4°c

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Just had a better look with benefit of short tele lens. Looks like a few tiles slipped/out of place in addition to the missing ones. Will definitely cost more than the excess to repair, so insurance it is.

11. dream_police

But is the “more than the excess” going to be less than the increase in your premium because you had the audacity to use your insurance!

Catriona and peterba like this.
  12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Such is life, but of the various policies I've had over the years the buildings insurance has been the best value so far in terms of what is covered versus cost of policy.

13. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Baked bean weather here - wet 'n windy mostly but occasional bright periods
    (the latter probably due to the lady forecaster switching on the lamps in her knickers)

14. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I'd agree with that, @Zou, but Nige's point is a good one. I don't know whether buildings insurance is administered in a similar way to motor insurance, but if you make even a minor claim on protected NCB motor insurance, despite your NCB percentage remaining intact, the discount is applied to a larger premium. What's worse is that, so far as I can establish, this effect seems to hang around biting you in the a*se in perpetuity. I haven't be able to find out whether the effect of the claim is eventually 'forgotten', as it were. Maybe someone on here with more knowledge of the subject can clarify that.

The whole basis of protected no-claims seems to be somewhat disingenuous, IMO. Don't ask how I know this. :(

15. Catriona

Insurance companies are barstewards.
    I remember making one (it was very rare) claim after a drastic oil loss from my tank outside (just after the system had been serviced and checked over). I had just had the tank filled, it was winter, and a week later it was empty.
    The insurance company wouldn't pay out since the system was just over 5 years old - although regularly serviced. When I tried to insure the following year (now widowed), they would not even quote for it. In a panic, I contacted others until I found NFU would do it, no problem. Been with them ever since. Which reminds me, I should get a letter soon. If not a quick phone call should sort it.

16. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I wouldn't argue with that, Kate. :)

Zou likes this.
  17. dream_police

I agree house insurance is relatively good value considering the amount it covers. All well and good if you have a big loss. How many folk don’t use it though for small ish valued claims so as not to force up premiums?

I last made a house insurance claim in 2005 and only 2 more between 1990 and then.

We have only made a car claim twice. 1993 and 2011. I know we have NCB’s but it’d be nicer if it was a bit more discount for those that have very good claims history.

Catriona likes this.
  18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Insurance should be cheap for everyone and only rising with fault claims, instead of being expensive and then reduced.

Catriona likes this.
  19. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

A few years ago I had a minor collision with another vehicle. IMO neither of us came out of it covered with roses. I did not claim as I thought it would affect my premiums even with NCB and damage very minor. My inurer settled the other parties claim on the basis it was impractical to fight it and put a no fault incident against my insurance record.
    At the next renewal (still via the AA) My premium dropped considerably - I had turned 65 in the interim. The following year the AA tried a substatial increase so I jumped ship to Direct Line and saved even more. Apart from their attemps to force automatic renewal I am happy with them. I recently upgraded from an 8 year old Yeti to a pretty high spec 3 year old BMW 520D Touring. Cost of upgrading the insurance for the outstanding period of 8.5 months was £53.
    I suspect I was lucky with the no fault rating as I ended up talking to one of the insurers lawyers when the call centre team were in a team meeting and talking the same language helps. If I had claimed for my damage then I assume my premiums would be higher than the are.

20. Ascu75 AKA Don Wood

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood Well-Known Member

Wet and very windy here