1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's your weather?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Dec 15, 2018.

1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

After a grey dank day the sky has cleared, with the promise of a few hours clear tonight.
    Had to drive to Portesham surgery this morning, through low cloud over Abbotsbury Hill. Horrid.

2. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Well done you. Mattresses can be a *ugger to dry.:D

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No need for decorum today. Just shorts, sandals and Tilly hat in my own garden. I did come in around one o'clock. I didn't want sunburn.

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The Hatton Cross Roundabout is fun these days...
    [​IMG]

Catriona likes this.
  5. Learning

Useful to have advance warning of that one! I've never come across a contra rotating roundabout before. From above it all looks perfectly logical.

6. Learning

Passing the test is not the same as doing a hill start on a one in three as you very well know. Its steeper than that on the inside of the bends.

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Back in the early 1990's I drove my Renault 5 up the Puy de Dome in France (you can no longer drive up it). As I arrived in the carpark at the top my clutch cable broke (luckily I knew they were prone to that, so I had a spare with me). I was just so thankful it didn't break on the way up. I would have caused mayhem!

Zou and Catriona like this.
  8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Glad I don't need to do that these days! Gordon Bennett!

9. Catriona

My master brake cylinder went random in my last days in London. The last time was going up to the 8th floor of a multi-story carpark. I called the AA and when he came, he wouldn't let me drive it back down the eliptical spiral to get out. He did it and crawled down. Sold the old thing for scrap! (Not the AA man).

AndyTake2 likes this.
  10. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Sounds similar to my experience. My first car was an old Renault 5 which had a replacement clutch fitted before we went on a tour of France and Germany. The clutch failed in Germany, got it fixed but it soon broke again and I had to drive several hundred miles to get to the port and home.

11. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I'm old enough to remember when that was a proper roundabout ! Brings back fond memories of trips to Harrow with my late father......

Catriona likes this.
  12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

They're scarier to look at than to drive round.

unnamed.gif

Learning, AndyTake2 and Catriona like this.
  13. Catriona

What room for pedestrians??

Zou likes this.
  14. Learning

I drove a Renault 4, Roho, up to the top clearing of the Naro Moru route on Mt Kenya a few times. I failed to get it onto the Shira Plateau of Kilimanjaro, not because of roughness of track; it just ran out of steam. The carburettor was jetted for Nairobi at about 5000ft. Also the radiator cap spring and thermostat were those suitable for around 5000ft. Top clearing was about 8500ft and Shira about 10,000. The Roho was quite a remarkable vehicle.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  15. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

At least I had a cable with me (and a Haynes manual) and managed to sort it in the carpark.

16. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

What did you get for him?:p

Catriona likes this.
  17. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I went round one somewhere or other. As you said, the thought is scarier than the reality. Anyone driving around Milton Keynes is used to loads of roundabouts, and the distance between them is almsot irrelevant (unless they are those really close, small buggers!)

18. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

When I lived in Sana'a for a few year, I had a similar problem. Sana'a is at about 7,500ft, but I would make regular trips down to Mocha, not for the coffee, which was excellent, but for the booze that the dhows would bring across from Djibouti, Yemen being a 'dry' country. The trip, made in a LWB Land Rover, consisted of heading south, dropping down to Ta'izz at 4,500ft and tweaking the carburetor, and then heading west to Al Mukha (Mocha) at sea level, with more tweaking of the carburetor.

There we would load up with mostly scotch, but some gin and sometimes beer, dug up from the desert sand where the smugglers would hide it. We would then head north along the coast to Al Hudaydah, which was quite a lively port in those days, and then finally we would head east up to Sana'a on the most dangerous road I have ever driven - narrow, steep, and zigzag bends all the way up to 10,000ft for the mountain pass back to Sana'a. There was much tweaking on the road up. From the pass it was downhill all the way!

Learning and John Farrell like this.
  19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Feels positively autumnal. Bright but crisp.

Catriona likes this.
  20. Catriona

Too hot and humid. Breeze required.

Learning likes this.