1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

How's your weather?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Dec 15, 2018.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, that was fun...

Power out at about 15:00. Called the emergency number and got a recorded message. Power out all over Staines due to problems caused by the weather. They had their engineers on it and hoped to have everything back within SIX hours!

At 16:00, power back. Until 16:02. Then back at 16:03. Looks like it's OK. For now...

Catriona likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm finding it hard to believe the wind is from the SW as shown for me at present. I hear it, but am not aware of it as I should be when I look out the back door. Very weird.
    We have been lucky this time. Nothing too bad and nothing much forecast either. Pressure 958 and pretty static.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Least it isn't the Trent...

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not much in the way of rain, but persistent strong winds. Definitely stronger than Ciara both in regular wind and gusts. Can't help thinking that I could get a cracking 5k PB if I went the right way on the coastal path. If I went the wrong way it'd be like running into a brick wall.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

I'm still trying to figure out your route... um....

6. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Wind's been getting up. We had a lull in the wind this afternoon but it's becoming too strong for me to open up the telescope even for testing.
    Has anyone else clocked how faint Betelgeuse has become? Never seen it so faint.

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

It's been a funny old day. It quitened down and we even had a bit of sunshine towards the end of the day, though it stayed pretty baltic. However about 8.15 it absolutely hurled it at our windows (could even have been hail), and the wind noise was quite something. Now it's quiet again, just a bit breezy when I popped out for a bay leaf for the stock from the Saturday joint bones.

I wonder what will be misplaced in the morning, and I wonder if it's worth even trying to catch a train?

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Prestonpans to Seton Sands, pretty much north east all the way, flat and open.

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

We have come off pretty lightly as usual. We are a hill village with only one area vulnerable to a blocked storm drain.
    However We have standing puddles which would usually drain away into the ground within a couple of hours. Every drop of rain that now falls will not be 'soaked up' ; it will quickly run into storm drains which empty into our streams which then empty into the Trent. Even if there is good weather for a few days I fear that some lower downstream communities are going to suffer.

10. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Wind better than yesterday although when I went out much of the boxes out for recycling were missing and some of the paper wrapping from the box my new microwave came in was festooning a bush about 150 yards away.

Seems to be a good few power cuts in my area, the street round the corner was dark for ages but thus far I'm okay and I had an early dinner, did my washing, had a shower etc so if it goes down here I have a torch and can just go to bed anyway

11. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Great weekend for visiting Devon.

4F17DECE-550E-427C-B3D7-78669F30DBB3.jpeg

7F806A46-F993-4F74-8A2A-4FF86844292B.jpeg

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Some folks are doing their bit for the climate and environment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51524278
    There are quite a lot of twitter comments about this and you don't need to understand much French to understand them. Even some French people are embarrassed, even annoyed about it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Wind has been stronger overnight, as forecast. Heard rain battering the window first thing, that seems to have eased now.

14. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Wet and windy again here too. Had to go up to town yesterday for RPS Urban meeting and too the camera in hopes of some nice shots in the wet. Often do that, but when it comes down to it, I always dive down the tube and off home. I'm sure I miss a lot.

Catriona likes this.
  15. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

At times like this there always seems to be either reluctance or certainly delay in calling in help from the military to help the emergency services. Why?

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

Ha! What you need to do is either lurk in a doorway or find a good place one floor up. ;)

17. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

It's actually quite bright out there at the moment. Rain is forecast soon though. My garden horse arrives this afternoon. I have a feeling it won't be getting erected anytime soon looking at the forecast for the week.
    This was my stream yesterday morning, it's quite full and fast flowing.

[​IMG]Full stream ahead by Nigel G, on Flickr

Catriona likes this.
  18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I first saw this post on my phone. I was worried when you said you were going to show us your full and fast flowing stream...:eek::rolleyes:

DaveM399 likes this.
  19. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

It's a bit pathetic at the minute isn't it?
    No-one has seen it this dim for donkeys years - I think it is the dimmest it has been since accurate records started.
    ...Of course, tomorrow we could be saying 'bloody hell! What's that damn great light in the sky keeping me up at night?":D

DaveS likes this.
  20. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I guess we must be lucky here in Swansea,though heavy rain and howling winds there`s been no flooding.

I feel sympathy for those who have been flooded.That`s devastating.