1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

How's your weather?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Happened here in last storm. 8th at 6pm the wind suddenly stopped. The temperature dive-bombed. The local Pier weather monitor ceased working. Hasn't worked since!

2. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Wind is noticeable less in just the last hour, and not much rain ---- yet! The forecast for this afternoon is mainly for rain.

3. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Not much wind, but steady rain. According to the Bournemouth Echo there was a huge power cut affecting DT1, DT2 (Me), and DT3. About 23,000 people. Plus Pool and Bournemouth.

4. Catriona

Oh dear. That could be DorsetMike out.

5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Yes, I thought of him. I also have family in Blandford where there have been cuts and flooding.
    The power cut here was only for about 10-15 mins by my reckoning.

Catriona likes this.
  6. Catriona

I'm ready. Two thermos flasks filled. Heating has been on all morning. Take care everyone.

7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Regarding the flooding and storm damage, I gather that up until 2026 the government will be spending £5bn on flood defences, which is 1% of its Infrastructure budget - This is a miserable amount compared to what HS2 has cost so far, or will have spent by then.

I suppose our politicians much prefer to have something substantial, shiny and visible to show off to other countries, instead of having to trundle off -presumably via the Uk's creaking and overcrowded railway network - to some quaint, funding-strapped coastal area, so they show off what has been spent on protecting these coastal areas from flooding?

Catriona likes this.
  8. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

No power out this far east (BH1) looks like BH16, BH17, western outskirts of Poole, BH21 Wimborne and BH24 Ringwood have suffered.

Catriona likes this.
  9. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Yesterday I went to watch my local soccer team - pitch was (IMHO) unplayable but that's another story.

I watched a player take a corner and watched the gale blow the ball into the goal without another player touching it. Last time I saw that it was Georgie Best and he did it deliberately.

MIckLL

Zou likes this.
  10. Catriona

Thing is, it's a huge problem which will only get worse. I've lived here for over 30 years now. When I first came, a tide height of 5 metres was the exception rather than the rule. Now it is regularly well over 5 metres, which doesn't seem much, but with causeways and some very low lying areas by the sea, it is the difference between being cut off and able to get to ther places on the Island.
    I've seen work carried out on shingle barriers over the years, which was given up in the end and the sea found its own level on land. I've seen breakwater groynes rust to nothing. I've seen road closures mount year by year to an unsafe level, cutting off my old home peninsula regularly now.
    I think it would be easier to move populations to safer ground as a cheaper solution. Hard on people, but when you experience flooding and being cut off, it's not so unacceptable to most.

11. Catriona

Take care now.

12. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I have to sympathise with everyone else here as in Reading we seem to have got away with howling winds, of the 'All mouth and not much action' type. Maybe this is because of the Chilterns valley to the North which offers some protection?

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

When I was at primary school I scored an own goal from near the corner flag kicking against the wind...but a few years later I took a corner and scored when the wind blew it in

Zou and Catriona like this.
  14. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Wind's dropped right down to a gentle breeze, but the rain is pretty steady.

15. Catriona

Pressure dropping. Now 958. Breezy (41mph) and rising. Dry!

16. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Yep...dry here at the moment. Just been down to the dunes with the dog, the wind is a steady blast that felt significantly stronger than Ciara.

Graeme

Zou likes this.
  17. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Pressure is a fairly steady 993
    Denis the Menace looks to be tracking north-ish between Scotland and Iceland.

Catriona likes this.
  18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

sun's out

Catriona likes this.
  19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

persisting it down again..

Catriona likes this.
  20. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Wind is picking up again and starting to rain a bit.