1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's your weather?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Dec 15, 2018.

1. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

What a difference a day makes. Yesterday was a cracking winter's day, starting with a light frost then blue skies and light winds. Today, it's thick cloud and mist/drizzle (mizzle?). The only plus point is the light winds, as we lost a few roof tiles in the aftermath of Brendan last week.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

We even had a reddish evening sky yesterday...

Sunset from the A3072 GX7 P1140405.JPG

...but we've still ended up with a damp morning.

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

That's because you're not a shepherd

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Fit for gardening - which I did. Calm, not sunny but not raining eeither. 11 degC, no wind, 1031.4 hPa pressure. It can stay like this as long as it likes!

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Grey, foggy, damp. It doesn't deserve anything other than mono.

[​IMG]foggy trees by Nigel G, on Flickr

AndyTake2 and Catriona like this.
  6. Catriona

Lovely picture though!

dream_police likes this.
  7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Damp and claggy today, after a few days of bright but chilly sun. Managed 3 nights of imaging under some pretty good skies. Not the clearest I've seen, but still very worthwhile.

Catriona likes this.
  8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Very foggy / misty / cold at home at 5am.

Misty, overcast and cold in The Big Smoke during the day.

Dark and cold now at home.

bigsmoke1.jpg
    bigsmoke2.jpg
    bigsmoke3.jpg

Catriona likes this.
  9. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Were your 3 misty images from the PO Tower? Or have I guessed the wrong location completely!

EightBitTony likes this.
  10. EightBitTony

I can neither confirm, nor deny, the location of the photographs.

But I got there at a speed of approximately 1400 feet per minute.

11. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Had some good seeing conditions here, which is ok if I can get to somewhere without so much light pollution. Local Green where I go sometimes isn't too bad for a town place, and I could pick out 6 of the Pleides (always a good bar for gauging the conditions!)
    Are you keeping an eye on Betelgeuse? It's a bit pathetic at the minute, and although we all know it's a variable, I think most of us are hoping it blows:)

12. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Yes, Betelgeuse has been very noticeably dim. We could be seeing a super minimum, as three cycles come together, or it could be about to go bang, which will be spectacular but not dangerous, think of a point of light as bright as the full moon.
    I could easily see most of the Pleiades naked eye, and through bins could easily see the nebulosity surrounding them.

13. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Many moons ago, when I actually did a bit of astronomy, a neighbour said that if one of those stars fell on us it would be as big as Norfolk!

I wonder how many people would think it dangerous if they were told Betelgeuse was going to blow? I guess if one isn't interested in the cosmos, knowledge of scale is difficult to comprehend.

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

1. 1,400 feet per minute = 84,000 feet per hour
    2. = 28,000 yards per hour
    3. = 15.9 miles per hour
    I'm guessing a bicycle or a a slow taxi. :D

Catriona likes this.
  15. Catriona

Or drone... or helicopter?

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  16. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

If the rotation axis of Betelgeuse was pointed at us then it could be very dangerous if it gave rise to a gamma ray burst, (Quite likely for a star of that mass), we'd be close enough that a radiation induced mas-extinction would be a distinct possibility. Fortunately it's pointed about 20 deg away from us, so fairly safe.

I've just posted an image in Exhibition that I managed to capture over three of the clear nights we had.

17. EightBitTony

Elevator.

Catriona likes this.
  18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Grey, mild, light breeze. Running then possibly gardening, although I hope not.

19. Catriona

Going to freeze.
    3 degC at present and falling. Brr!
    Little breeze but I don't think that's going to be enough to stop the ice tonight.

20. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Light wispy clouds and sunshine at the moment, still cold though