1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you spend £2,500?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by cjsmith, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

I would dispute that. It's too easy for anybody to spend other peoples money without fully understanding all their requirements which is why I still stand by my reply.

2. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Nah, mine was best.

3. Lounge Lizard

Rubbish! It's based on Nikon gear. ;)

[Those hurried footsteps are mine as I run for cover]

4. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

You. Me. Outside. Now. :mad: :D

5. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

Re: Prestige

Since the question is "How would you spend £2,500?"
    Although I'm not starting from scratch it would be:
    Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED for £2149 (WHE)
    Nikon 180mm F2.8 ED AIS for £299 (used, mint next day delivery from Ffordes)
    Photoshop Elements v5.0 £62.99 (Amazon)
    Total £2510.99

Incidently I have Canon (FD and EOS) and Nikon gear (which I suspect a lot of people do) and it was a close call between the Nikon lens and a new Canon printer.

6. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

If I were spending on myself although again not starting form scratch I'd still get the D200, with my D70s as a 2nd body, and the 70-200 f2.8 VR. I'd cash in my 80-200 2.8 and together with the extra for not needing the bag or memory card I'd get a Nikon f1.4 85mm prime to complete my set (with the exception of the Nikon 200-400mm f4 which will eluded for a long time to come I fear)

7. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

I was just trying to cover what I thought might be reasonable choices within the budget. Obviously it's up to the individual to decide what is important and what type of photography interests them but I'd imagine that as a starting point a wide angle, a general use wide to short zoom and maybe a long zoom and a prime might be good. I also like the idea of a relatively cheap general purpose wide to long zoom. Although many here wouldn't recommend this sort of lens I think there might be room for one in lots of peoples line up.

Alternatively a decent starting point might be just one lens, perhaps a decent wide to short zoom in the 17-85 range as this might prompt an interest in wide angle, macro or zoom photography which could then lead to further purchases more suited to whatever has caught their interest.

8. bench_ubbster

Now if I was starting from scratch and had to sell my sole to the digital devil. I would go for:

Canon EOS-400D plus 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 (may as well go for the lens deal @ £50 extra!) £549.99 (WHE)
    or Nikon D80 £599 (WHE)
    I would need a test drive of both, but I currently don't have a preference.

Then the following lenses:
    Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM £318.99
    Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC £269.99 yes I know the 400D comes with one but this Sigma beauty if fast!
    Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC £499.99
    Sigma 2x converter £168.99
    Epsom Stylus Photo R2400 printer £509
    Tamrac Velocity 9 £49.99
    Photoshop Elements v5 £62.99

Total £2478.94 (if Nikon option)

Spend any balance on memory cards or a tripod.

9. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

*hands over the bread rolls to NN*

:D

10. Lounge Lizard

Not quite what the OP was asking. It was really "How would you spend £2,500 to buy a dSLR to give good quality images for family, street and motorsport photography?".

I can't see many shots being taken with a scanner! :)

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And for those requirements, I would get me a 1D Mk IIn, 50mm f1.8 and 100-400 IS plus a 1.4x convertor. However, for my personal use, i would blow the lot on a 5D and 24-105. Doesn't mean those are the right choices for anyone else, but they would suit me!

12. bench_ubbster

I posted a follow-up on how "I" would spend £2,500 then if "I" was starting from scratch with my next post. Since it is a hypothetical question for almost every visitor to this forum who is not starting from scratch anyway.

I just wish I had £2500 to spend starting from scratch or otherwise :)

13. Lounge Lizard

Goes along with that age old saying it's not what you've got but what you do with it that counts.

14. bagpuss

*fights urge to make rude jokes about the size of David's equipment*

15. bench_ubbster

It's also nice to see that not everybody is going for the same stuff. We are not the clones like the marketing people believe we are and there is no correct answer. It all boils down to personal preference or what the local store stocks and demonstrates. When spending that sort of money I would definitely want to test at least the camera body before I commit ;)

16. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

That's it. Go against the Mods.

*sigh* we're never appreciated ;)

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, it's our roll in life. ;)

18. Lounge Lizard

I quite agree. If I had no camera at all and that sort of budget I might even look at something totally different to my existig Canon EOS system like a Leica M8 (but I'd have to get Pam to flash her eyelids at the guy in R G Lewis to bring it within budget).

19. Lounge Lizard

As far as Pam is concerned, we now know on which side our roll is buttered. :(

20. bagpuss

LOL! :D (Nice choice though, David! ;) )