1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you solve it?

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by MickLL, Oct 9, 2009.

1. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Here's a problem on behalf of a friend. I have some ideas but do you have any others please?

She owns two computers. One in England and one kept in France. Neither machine has an onerous duty - typically email,internet and word. England is wired broadband;France is dial-up.

The English machine is showing signs of dying and is very old. The French machine is also very old and connects via dial-up.It's very, very, slow. She will not pay for broadband in France because she's only there for a few weeks a year.

She had a visitor in France who used a 'Blackberry Type' hand held for email and internet - so there's an adequate phone signal. She was impressed.

Now here's the question. Given that the UK machine is dying and probably has to be replaced and the French is so slow is there an answer that maybe involves a laptop that will connect (wired) to broadband in the UK and use the phone to connect in France?

All ideas welcomed.

MickLL

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

A lap top computer can easily connect via an ethernet cable or wireless to a broadband connection in the UK. Some have modems but others do not so the dial-up in france may not be that easy. However you can use an iPhone to connect a computer to the internet so I would think others can also provide the connection.

3. TonyKillay

TonyKillay Well-Known Member

I would agree with GeoffR, one other solution in France might be a 'pay as you go' Broadband dongle. They are very cost effective here in the UK and I would have expected France to have a competitive product. From my memory, you cannot roam with a UK 'Pay as you go' Broadband. This might have changed, I'm sure others will jump in with their experiences

Tony

4. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

I have a Blackberry Storm with Vodaphone and have an unlimited internet contract. Browsing is OK on the phone but if I ever need to use a laptop I can connect the Blackberry to the laptop with USB and the phone acts as a modem. Make sure the contract is for unlimited internet though because the charges can mount up and you can reach your data limit very quickly when using a laptop.

5. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

I'd agree with what Tony suggests. I checked out the iPhone thingy (which only works with the 3GS I think), but it's not inexpensive as a monthly "bolt-on" - about £14 upwards IIRC - and only works in the UK. For surfing abroad it's on a PAYG basis, charged per MB; again not cheap.

PAYG dongles aren't cheap either, but I'd suspect a lot less than the iPhone option.

6. Adesw

Adesw Well-Known Member

I cracked my iPhone to allow tethering without having to pay the extra for the bolt on /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

£15 a month is extortion!

7. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

How about a usb (dial-up) modem for use in France, and a wireless BB router for use in UK? That's the low-tech solution we used for years, it saves having to muck about setting up strange connection profiles etc. Later we found a neighbour had splashed out on a wireless BB connection in France, and let us piggyback on that for a few weeks each year. It costs a couple of drinks on a recurring basis, no hardship at all. ;)

8. Adesw

Adesw Well-Known Member

The smartest thing I can think to do would be to stick with broadband here, and buy a Pay as you go dongle in france. That way your not paying out of your arse for data roaming etc when you're there and its portable. Depends on the coverage though