1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how/when to use Freeworld F6 5.7" monitor menus

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Brenton Pettitt, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Brenton Pettitt

Brenton Pettitt New Member

I am a newcomer to dslr photography, after years away from older slr technologies, mainly using auto settings.
    I have scoured this monitor's menus that I want to use with my entry level Nikon D3500 camera & kit lenses, but I am
    somewhat blindsided by the contexts of many of these menus/submenus, of which there are approx 50.

Some are self explanatory but many are quite technical & I have little firm idea of how/when they should be implemented. I understand that there is not necessarily a binary answer to my question given the varying artistic approaches of users would be considerable.

I'm wondering if there any tutorials or other aids that could help with my quest to a considerably better understanding, since I have been unable to find any full treatment (in one place) discourses on the subject.

Thanks for any help

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have looked at Amazon to see what you are talking about, but I am still unsure what you are trying to achieve with this monitor. The illustration shows the monitor mounted on top of the camera so I assume that you are using it for live view is that correct?

Personally I find live view less than useful and much prefer the optical viewfinder but if it works for you fine. Without knowing your desires and intentions it is difficult to make any meaningful suggestions.

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Have you tried YouTube?

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi, it seems to be Feel rather than Free. I didn't find a direct link to a user manual which is the normal place to start. From the adverts it seems to give you some of the diagnostics that you'd get using liveview on your camera while providing a bigger screen. It isn't clear to me if it provides a tethered control option (unlikely) so basically I assume the controls split between monitor settings (brightness, contrast etc.) and image analysis info. (exposure, focus, white balance etc.). These latter can probably be advised on e.g to counter overexposure you could dial in negative exposure compensation on the camera. But it would have to be on an instance by instance basis. There is no way to guess what 50 menu options might cover!

I suspect that, unless you have a specific purpose in mind, you'd be better treating the camera as the SLR that it is and get to know the camera controls that way. Liveview is mainly useful for video (that is what it was implemented for), although this last week I have been using it (for the first time in 14 years of using a digital camera) with my camera tethered to a computer while doing some copy work.

5. Brenton Pettitt

Hi all,
    From replies I have the impression that nobody here appears to know much, if anything, about these camera monitors & what their for. They are much used amongst professionals, semi professional & avid amateur photographers. These people recognise that the best images need to be derigueur for paying customers (wedding & business commissioned work, etc). The inbuilt menus provide software that permits users to manipulate nuances of detail provided in the larger camera monitor, that otherwise likely could not be seen in a viewfinder or the camera liveview, & thus missed. This action is virtually pre editing your composition before you shoot.

It needs to be noted that these monitors do not change a jpeg into something else. They just enhance
    the image. The post production method does that with raw files.
    Other users, mainly studio professionals, use expensive editing software on a PC or Mac (as POST production) to get high quality results using RAW footage direct from their camera, that too contains much more detail than a jpeg file ever would & involves much larger data files. So there are two methods of composition, one of simple enhancement the other using embedded raw algorithms.

I agree with the comment "why would anyone buy an expensive dslr or mirrorless camera, that much of the time they only use in auto mode to produce inferior jpeg files. They say "it would be like using a Ferrari to go to the corner shop at 15kph."
    However, I do realise that it suits many hobby enthusiasts to just shoot jpegs & that's fine for them.
    Time resources are a consideration otherwise, but in my case I am looking for fuller utilization of resources.

Some of the 50 menus would include: focus assist feature, brighteness, contrast, saturation, aspect ratio, 9 grid mode, & many more.

Here are some videos that may help with an appreciation of the monitor genre.
    I think the reason that there are no manuals is that these monitors are in wide use, mainly by experienced photographers that already know their way around the traps. That's not to say they can't be used by the rest of us, by applying more than just a modicum of application, all in the interest of ending up with a higher quality & rewarding hobby. So in the absence of tutorial type help I will need to approach the subject in a piecemeal way using the abundance of piecemeal information available on the net. Just means a lot more work!
    Thanks for all your contributions.

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-camera-monitors

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  6. Brenton Pettitt

Actually a fine print very short manual came with the camera, but is next to useless.

7. Brenton Pettitt

Here are some more features of the F6 Feelworld monitor.
    1. High Resolution: Full HD 1920x1080
      2. High Contrast: 1400:1
      3. High Brightness: 460cd/m²
      4. 170° wide viewing angles IPS Panel
      5. Ultra thin design 18.6mm thickness
      6. Histogram
      7. Peaking Focus Assist (Red,Green,Blue three colors optional highlight over parts of the image in focus)
      8. False Colors
      9. Zebra Exposure
      10. Nine Grid
      11. Camera Mode
      12. Zoom (4x,9x,16x)
      13. Anamorphic Mode (1.3x,2.0x,2.0x mag)
      14. Pixel to Pixel
      15. Center Marker
      16. Safe Area (80%,85%,90%,93%,96%,2.35:1)
      17. Ratio marker (4:3,13:9,14:9,15:9,16:9,1.85:1,2.35:1)
      18. Marker Color (Red,Green,Blue,White,Black???
      19. Check Field (Red/Green/Blue/Mono)
      20. Image Flip (H, V, H/V)
      21. Image Freeze
      22. Zoom All
      23. U/D & L/R Zoom
      24. Color Temperature Adjustment

2. Advanced Features
    * Brightness Histogram

* Peaking Focus Assist (Red, Green, Blue three colors optional highlight over parts of the image in focus)

* False Colors

* Zebra Exposure (1-100IRE adjustable)

* Check Field (Red, Green, Blue, Mono)

* Camera Mode

* Anamorphic Mode (1.3x, 2.0x, 2.0x mag)

* Image Flip (H, V, H/V)

* Image Freeze

* Center Marker

* Screen Marker (80%,85%,90%,93%,96%, 2.35:1)

* Ratio marker (4:3,13:9,14:9,15:9,16:9,1.85:1,2.35:1)

* Color Temperature Adjustment

* Nine Grid (Zoom one of the images to realize the full screen) (Nonsupport in 4K input)

* Zoom (4X, 9X, 16X) (Nonsupport in 4K input)

* Aspect Ratio (Nonsupport in 4K input)

* Pixel to Pixel (Nonsupport in 4K input)

* Zoom All (Nonsupport in 4K input)

* U/D Zoom (Nonsupport in 4K input)

* L/R Zoom (Nonsupport in 4K input)

8. PeteRob

I think you’ve been hit by some over persuasive marketing spiel. I suspect this product is aimed at people migrating from using a phone or tablet to take pictures where they are used to an arms-length view of the world and find a camera a bit of a strange thing.

A studio fashion shoot might use a camera tethered to a big monitor, for the advantages claimed above. Because the results are going to end up as 3 m prints so it helps to have a much bigger view for judging focus. They will shoot and reshoot until they get it right. An ipad sized view isn’t going to help much.

Video cameras use remote screens for practical purposes but again the pro-cameras aren’t hand held. They’ll be on substantial tripods.

[​IMG]274A6218.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

Post-production of raw files is done in a studio under managed lighting conditions and calibrated monitors (a “good” monitor in a professional studio is ~£4k, at home I’d pay £1.4k for my next one) because perception of colour depends on the ambient lighting. You aren’t going to see “accurate” colours on one of those things any more than you will on the the back of a camera LCD unless you calibrate it and control the light falling on it (e.g. in a studio).

Anyway, you bought it and should have some fun.

The functions focus assist, brightness, contrast, saturation, composition grids etc. are all standard in-camera functions found on modern cameras so we can help with that. What do you want to know?

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You seem to be under the impression that the monitor can change the image that is recorded by the camera. As far as I am aware that is not the case, all it does is to make the live view image bigger and allows you to see the effects of the camera controls more clearly. The resolution of the monitor is considerably lower than that of the camera’s sensor. I can understand the attraction when shooting video but I fail to see how adding a large lump on top of an SLR is going to enhance the handling.

What you are calling menus are actually operating modes which is probably why there isn’t more information available.

10. PeteRob

I’d keep it simple. Don’t mess with any camera controls affecting contrast, saturation, sharpness or white balance. Use standard colour profile and auto-white balance). Keep the default colour space as sRGB. Just use the monitor as a big view of the rear LCD, set the 9 square viewing grid but otherwise don’t move any of its controls off their neutral settings except perhaps brightness.

Get to know how your camera works in the programmed modes and how it responds to exposure compensation. Selection of focus point is useful too. Almost any picture can be taken with a modern camera using aperture priority and suitable choice of ISO (or auto ISO) and exposure compensation.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I question whether these things are "much used by professionals" I have a friend who is a wedding photographer and he doesn't use one, indeed I have never seen on in use. They may well be common amongst video shooters but I don't see the point for stills. The function you call pre-editing is correctly called composition and it is the reason for having a viewfinder; if you find having a bigger screen useful, fine, enjoy using it.

Sorry, this, or any other monitor does not replace post production, all it does is allow you a better view, which may be useful but a 5.7" monitor sitting in the hot shoe won't improve my Red Kite photographs, it would just be in the way. There is no way that I could compose using a screen either on the back of the camera or on top of it, if you can work that way again, enjoy your self.

No one on here said that!

Modes not menus I suggest. If you enhance Saturation on the monitor it won't increase the saturation in the image recorded by the camera. Likewise brightness, contrast, aspect ratio etc. What you change on the monitor won't affect what gets on to the memory card. If you want to do that with a Nikon DSLR you need Camera Control Pro software and a computer which connects via USB not HDMI.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I don't know anything about these particular ones. Some pros use these sort of things, but in general if I'm shooting in circumstances where they're useful, I'll shoot tethered anyway, giving me much better vision.
    They're much more wideky used in the video world, where some of them like the Atomos Ninja V include recording options, and can record higher video quality than the camera is otherwise capable of, and that uses Clean HDMI out.

EightBitTony likes this.
  13. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I've read all the above, and am curious to know how large the camera bag needs to be to hold it all.
    Does the technology exist to answer a clear and specific need, or to extract funds from people who believe it's essential when it isn't?

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

They're not particularly large.

Probably both. For video work, a bigger monitor than the viewfinder or rear screen is really useful, as is the capability to record higher quality footage. For stills work, I don't think the monitor is often the best solution, and there's no quality gain. Before COVID hit, I was thinking of branching out a bit into a bit of video work, and had done some homework on the Ninja V, and had actually arranged to borrow one for some testing. Bang went that plan, along with the whole video idea, but if I was going to do it again, (which currently looks unlikely( I would certainly seriously consider this option.