1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

How to take brilliant photographs....

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Paul M, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

In the The Observer ‘New Review’ supplement today

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

We non-observer readers can expect to be shadowed by lots of brilliance then?

Paul M and Catriona like this.
  3. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

daft_biker likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Sellebrity at its yuckiest...

5. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Care to elaborate, I can’t understand how your comment relates to the article?

Mike40 likes this.
  6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

It's his standard reply to any post about someone with talent gaining money/'celebrity' from working at what they are good at.

7. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

Quite frankly, neither can I........in a similar way David Bailey, Brian Duffy, Terry Donovan, Don McCullin and countless many more photographers became ‘celebrities’ but that didn’t detract from the quality of their work.......did it?

(yes, that old!!)

Take care,
    Mike

Learning likes this.
  8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I shouldn't worry about it - there are probably a couple of posters on this board who remember Fox Talbot... ;)

9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

They probably taught him everything he knew.

SqueamishOssifrage, beatnik69 and SXH like this.
  10. Andrew Flannigan

It is indeed. :D

11. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

do you mean that nice camera shop on the Tottenham Court Road (as was)?

Take care,
    Mike

12. Andrew Flannigan

I spent many a happy Saturday afternoon window shopping along there and down the side streets. When I ran out of camera shops there were always the electronics places tucked away down the Soho streets. There were other things down those streets but it was some time before I realised that... :confused:

13. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

...........and then? Do Tell.

Take care,
    Mike

14. Andrew Flannigan

:D :D :D

15. Digitalmemories

Digitalmemories Well-Known Member

The advice does seem a bit superficial - but I guess the article is more for entertainment than education?

It would not hold the interest of the general public if someone gave a lecture on knowing your camera controls without having to look at them, seeking out the best light or buying decent lenses.

16. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

I thought it was entertaining, which is good IMO as taking photographs should be fun, but Also aimed at those who already know the above but are looking how to apply that technical knowledge to develop their own style or get in the right mindset to make images. When I was learning to play guitar there were thousands of books that which teach you how, but once you can play the next step is to find your own tone, style and start writing songs and the much smaller selection of material that is available covering that is very much like this article, assumes technical ability. Although having read it again every one of the photographers mentions light.

Digitalmemories likes this.
  17. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Difficult to take even bad images without Light
    It is the foundation of Photography..."Drawing with Light"
    Studying the great artists of the past will teach just about all you need to know about light and composition.
    "Lighting" and learning to "see" come way ahead of the Technology bit.
    The old masters had long apprenterships, learning the practical side of their craft... a step few photographers want to bother with today.

Digitalmemories likes this.
  18. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Noted, but the answer was a reply to the previous post regarding seeking out the best light.

Agreed but as they are also dead it is good to be able to actually talk to and read the thoughts of those great artists that are still with us.

Surely if they had long apprenticeships learning the practical side of their trade, you are agreeing the technical bit comes first?

19. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Only latterly. It was originally in that modern block on the Euston Rd. Kingsleys "owned" TCR. Both long gone of course.

The advice seemed fine to me. They seem to have been asked to point to what method could lead to outstanding (rather than any old) shots and they are good points. Another half dozen will cite a half dozen more that are equally right, I guess. But they do require an ability to discern brilliant from mundane and without that, one is really stuck with any old.

20. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

All good craftsman must learn how to use their tools.
    In the past this took years,
    Very few went on to become artists. But we're very happy to be skilled craftsmen.

Much the same is true today
    But very few photographers become any thing near to being artists.
    And equally few become competent technicians either.

However millions learn just enough to take recognisable images.