1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to stop cold calls please?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pete Bony, Nov 6, 2018.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Embrace cold calls. Engage them in conversation. They'll get fed up before you do. It's both not earning and costing them money.

The best ones are the internet cut-offs and computer virus calls. Act as though you believe all they say with plenty of 'Oh dear' and 'That's terrible'. Act the complete computer div. Just use your imagination. It actually becomes quite additive.

Our other way, every Thursday we look after our two year old grandson, is to give the phone to him. He just jabbers on until they hang up.

2. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

I have to admit that I do like to have a bit of sport with them now and then when I am in a good mood (Yes, I can be found in a good mood on the odd occasion). One of my favourites is to put on a Chinese/Benny Hill type of accent and try to get them believing that they are speaking to Dong Hung Low at the Wan-King Chinese Westewant and Take-Away and keep asking them if they want to book a table or place an order with me!

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Reading this now after a broadband glitch. My wife visits an elderly lady, she is very with it but has vision problems meaning that she requires large print documents, one of those we have for her this week wasn't printed in this format so I scanned an A5 copy and printed it on A4. When I put the scanner away, under the desk I must have disturbed the connection to our access point, I lost the internet and the Broadband light was flashing. While I was trying to find the problem the phone rang "This is nnnnn from BT we are about to shut down your broadband connection". Knowing this to be a scam call I put the phone down and changed the broadband filter after which the broadband light is blue again.

Interesting timing on the part of the scammers though.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I haven't has a "Windows" call for a while. They get very upset when I tell them that there is no such company as Windows, even more so when I tell them I use a Mac.

5. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Pity you're not with TalkTalk because they operate such a system. The first call from an unknown number is held up by the system and the caller is asked for identity. I am then asked whether I want to accept the call. If I answer yes the call comes through and that number is not blocked in future. If I say no then the call does not come through and the number is permanently blocked.
    I've not had a single cold call come through since TalkTalk put the system in place. It's a small nuisance for my friends initially but once the first successful call is made, the system becomes invisible.

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

We have a landline with BT purely for the purpose of enabling broadband. We don't use the landline to make calls and I don't answer it if it rings. I couldn't even tell you what the telephone number associated with it is any more. Calls on my mobile are MUCH cheaper than landline calls. My phone was bought as a one-off and I pay £12 a month 'airtime' which includes 500 minutes of phone calls to everything other than those really expensive 'service' numbers something stupid like 500 text messages and 500MB of data. Given that I can connect to wifi at home and at work, I never need any more data than that and I'm lucky if I send more than ten text messages a month because I use email or messenger online instead. As for 500 minutes of calls...I don't know nearly enough people I want to speak to for more than a minute or two at a time on the phone so that never gets used up either. If I could get rid of the landline completely I would do but I was outvoted by my other half who isn't convinced by the sales pitches from other internet providers.

As far as cold callers go...I never answer a number I don't recognise on my phone. If they really want to speak to me they'll leave a message. And given that I don't know the landline number, I certainly havent' given it out to anyone I'm interested in talking to so the only people who could be callign it will by definition be unwelcome interuptions to my day!

7. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I am stuck with the landline because Dave's mum is convinced calling my mobile for three seconds will be so expensive she'll be in the Poorhouse if she does it twice! I have told her thousands of times if she wants to call me to call my mobile let it ring three times then hang up and it will show her on the phone display and I can call her back because my contract has unlimited calls to all UK landlines but she doesn't get it

8. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I signed up to the TPS years ago and never get any UK marketing calls.

For those who can remember, this was doing the rounds some years ago :

9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I keep signing up for the TPS. Holds them off for a bit, then I get them again.

10. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I don't use my mobile very much (very few people know the number), and I'm with TalkTalk for the landline. On that I can bar all calls from 'number withheld' callers, and every time I get a scam call from a visible number I can immediately add that number to my blocked list. I haven't had a 'Windows' call for a long time (perhaps my impersonation of a bewildered person thinking they were offering to clean my windows must have finally been noted). But in recent months I've had dozens of calls stating 'your broadband supplier has advised that your IP address has been compromised and you need to...'. Some from mobile telephone numbers and some from UK landline numbers. Since all get blocked immediately, there must also be dozens of numbers being used to make the calls. They use different voices, and some are more clever and impersonate an overseas call centre voice. Most of these calls come between mid-morning and early afternoon on weekdays, presumably target at retired people like me (but more gullible).

I have also read about technology that allows a caller's number to be intentionally displayed as another number, so perhaps all these calls come from the same place and I get a different fictitious caller ID each time.

11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

The problem with blocking all number withheld numbers is that the NHS use them, the police use them and other legitimate organisations use them. They are not all baddies. I am expecting a call on Thursday and they have warned me that it will be from a withheld number, so to ignore them could be foolish. In fact all the nuisance calls that I get on my mobile are not withheld numbers, they have geographical numbers.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah, it's foolish to block them - I just don't answer them unless I'm expecting a call. People will generally leave a message if it's important. That system hasn't failed me yet.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have a blocked list on my mobile, it still rings but I know to ignore it.

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It's too easy to fake a real number. Blame international standards if you want, but BT had an awful lot to do with those standards.

15. Chester AP

From the 15th of this month TalkTalk will no longer offer free barring of 'number withheld' calls and is introducing a fee, so I shall remove this option from my customer 'profile' on the 14th and see how many of these calls I get. I can always reinstate it for £2 a monthly fee, which I resent because it must be simple to enforce and was previously free.

I don't understand why any legitimate organisations should withhold their numbers - all they need to do is start any message with 'do not call back on this number because it will not accept incoming calls' (again easy to set up - just bar everything). I suspect this policy is to hide the use of overseas call centres or automated calling services.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  16. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

These days that everyone has an external line I agree, but not so long ago, calls from extensions used to appear as the main switchboard number. When at work I've returned calls and found myself talking to a switchboard operator. It's easier to block the number than waste people's time returning calls.

17. Chester AP

So the message begins 'the caller number displayed is the switchboard of ...'.
    Simple.

18. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

A lot of NHS Trusts use a generic phone number that if you call it back does not accept incoming calls. It's common if you're applying for a job so you haven't got a direct line to the person who might be calling you to tell you you've been turned down in case you get upset and verbally abuse the person or worse

19. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

We must just be lucky. Neither myself nor my wife get cold calls on the mobiles, and the land-line gets almost none.

We get an occasional 'survey' (which is a way of avoiding the TPS restrictions) on the landline, and I get annoyed and tell them to get lost, otherwise the TPS works for us. We probably get one or two of those a year now.

However, we also have an answer phone on the landline and we let it screen the calls.

I get more cold calls on my work mobile, about 1 every month from an accident scam or payment protection recovery service.