1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to stop cold calls please?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pete Bony, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

We are registered with the TPS but they seem powerless where cold calls from overseas are concerned. I am getting sick and tired of these wretched cold calls which are coming at unreasonable times of the day - I have just had one from some idiot claiming he was calling from Talk Talk Technical Department at 07:40 (I'm not even with Talk Talk so they were told where to go in no uncertain terms) Can anyone suggest any "gadget or system" that can monitor who is calling before the phone rings and disturbs us please?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

We've had a thread on this before.

There is no way to stop them trying. They break the law deliberately. You can block numbers, BT has a process, I forget precisely, but that only works if they are not randomly swapping the number they call from. There is a block code you type that kills that number. BT provides this with the line rental. You may need a phone with caller display. I think if you are BT subscriber there are more complete options including hardware.

If it is a human then I try not to lose my temper, explain they are breaking the law and ask to be taken off the list. If it is a machine and I'm the only one in the house I just leave the receiver off the hook until it squawks. That at least costs them money. My personal hate is split between the scam "Susan" who says your internet is going to be cut off unless you press the "charge me a lot if money" number and silent calls. The "I'm from microsoft guys" usually respond well to "Oh no you're not, please take me off your list". They don't of course but they are so used to being abused they quite like a polite ha ha ha response.

With my cell phone I'll only answer it if the number is in the contacts list. We ought to do the same with the house phone.

3. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Get an answering machine - they hang up rather than leave messages. And a CLIP display helps - in time you recognise the numbers and, as a rule of thumb, the longer the number after the code(s), the more likely it is that you're dealing with a call centre/cold caller of some description.

Lynn

Footloose likes this.
  4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

For a while I stopped getting them, I don't know whether it was because of a crackdown or the GDPR. but I am now getting plagued by calls from Switzerland and Denmark. One of my work colleagues is now getting then from Las vegas. I block their number but i then receive it from a slightly different number.

Last week I got a robot call asking about my accident. It was a UK based number with a number that at a glance (as I was driving) had the same as STD as my home. I therefore answered it. I said yes in the appropriate places so that I would get put through to some form of human, albeit probably at the pond life end, told him that I do not consent to receiving calls and that i wanted my number removed from the database. I never finished my sentence because the t**t hung up on me. I have reported the calls before and it can be done quite easily online.

I, like a lot of people, do not use a landline so at least we don't get plagued on that too.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  5. dream_police

On my mobile, I get notified of new answering machine messages. I go to my inbox and the bastard robot callers, whilst not leaving a message don't quite disconnect soon enough so the voicemail is activated and an empty message is generated for a second or so.

6. Pete Bony

I've heard of a "system" that when someone phones they are asked to identify themselves before they are connected to the recipient. Does anyone know anything about this please?

ascu75 likes this.
  7. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

BT call guardian?

ascu75 likes this.
  8. Pete Bony

Can this be used if you are with a different phone provider please? I am with Plusnet.

9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I was just composing a long response when Pete wrote it for me.but just one other point BT have a service where overseas calls can be blocked I was never able to use this as we get some important ones but for some it might help. I have just moved and am getting a new number so I am going exdirectory in the hope that this will at least delay the onslaught. My ex neighbour has a (hardware) system that only accepts pre-registered numbers - but this seems to spoil the point of a phone

10. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I don't like folk like you (I said like you. You are an exception!!!). As a landline user it costs me dearly to speak to a mobile. It's worse than these chargeable (commercial) numbers that make you take three days to get through their phone tree and actually speak to a human.

MickLL

ascu75 and Roger Hicks like this.
  11. retrofit

12. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I don't get that at all. It seems to be devaluing the point of having a cell phone. Example: Speaking to a hospital: "We will call you back": OK - I'm out and about - here's my mobile number: Then they call from any one of the dozens of numbers available in the hospital and I don't answer.

A bit daft in my book!!

MickLL

13. retrofit

I don’t have a mobile phone/smart phone, instead I use my iPad as my portable device with 4G, so when I’m out and about the only person that gets my attention is the wife.

I did have a company mobile (hated having it) that rang all the time over weekends and evenings! It’s been at least 10 years since I’ve owned a mobile phone, somewhat liberating.

ascu75 likes this.
  14. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Ring, ring.

Pause

"Hallo, Llandegfan Mortuary, can I help you?"

Funny, I don't seem to get so many these days...

S

ascu75 likes this.
  15. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

My (very hazy) understanding of the situation is that these overseas scam artists are calling using VOIP systems, which means that they can 'spoof' the source telephone number that your home telephone detects as being a UK number rather than a foreign one.

I spend a lot of my time working from home now and I've got to admit that I welcome the distraction of an occasional dodgy call on my landline. The chap who called last week, claiming to be from BT Openreach and trying to convince me that my router had been hacked by foreign ne'er-do-wells even got to the point of telling me that I was going to "burn in hell" after I started laughing at him.

I still think my favourite was the chap who asked me to sign into any Windows device on my network, and I asked whether I could use my internet-enabled refrigerator to sign in - he gave it a valiant try, but since my 'fridge isn't internet-enabled and I was just stringing him along he was on a loser from the start.

Back to my original point though - perhaps somebody more savvy than I can suggest something to combat spoofed VOIP calls - I'm not even sure at which point the call 'leaves' the internet and 'enters' the telephone line!

Cheers, Jeff

16. dream_police

I found a landline expensive to use (I technically have a line with my Sky broadband) but to actually use I think they are pricey. I need a mobile anyway and I have unlimited minutes/texts/date all for a low price. I can phone my sister in the USA on it using internet calling on WhatApp. Making international calls on a landline would cost more, so for me, what really is the point. They say that the landline at home is a dying thing.

ascu75 and Zou like this.
  17. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It is hardware on the line, so whoever provides your line. We, don't know why, are with talk-talk but it is a BT line.

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well pretty obviously you answer if you're expecting a call, but otherwise, I don't answer any calls on either landline or mobile that aren't from numbers I recognise. Works well for me, but perhaps not a strategy for everyone.

19. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Just don't be in such a hurry to answer. The cold callers will be dialling multiple numbers at a time. First to answer is the loser.

20. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member