1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

How to shoot street photography

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Aug 3, 2020.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I like to do a bit of street but I could never do what he does.

Derek W likes this.
  2. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

I didn't start out that way... I was a big scardy cat and very apprehensive but the more I got into street the more confident I got.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I've been accused of being a pervert, or worse, three times while out with a camera.

1. At the end of my own road, photographing a bridge. Some idiots in a car shouted it as they drove past. A bridge. Idiots.
    2. By a security guard at an outdoor event who disliked the fact that I'd taken his photograph and decided to accuse me of photographing the kids. https://perceptionistruth.com/2017/07/i-dont-need-your-consent/
    3. By a homeless lady high on something.

I've never been accused, assaulted, attacked, abused or otherwise while out with a camera just taking photos in public. Don't hide, don't sneak, remain confident, be polite, smile, acknowledge people if they notice you, and don't have around pubs at kicking out time (unless you are @Done_rundleCams ) , you should be fine.

My confidence levels ebb and flow, sometimes I can point a 35mm lens at someone right in front of me, other-times the best I can do is shoot from the hip and hope for something useable. It's a combination of confidence, practice, and self belief.

Done_rundleCams and Craig20264 like this.
  4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

My post was tongue in cheek. I would be up front in using the camera. However if you wanted to pretend not to use the camera you switch it to live view and control it from the phone, using Snapbridge if you are a Nikon user, or other relevant ap if you are not.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I think @Done_rundleCams keeps his distance with his superzoom P900 for the 'Weegee' shots.

Done_rundleCams and EightBitTony like this.
  6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Indeed, @Learning :D and @EightBitTony ... I'm never a bars (inside or outside) at closing time as I'm safely tucked in bed by nine bells :eek: .... :)

Cheers,

Jack

John Farrell likes this.