1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

How to resize an image

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Farah, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Farah

Farah Member

Hi everyone,

Hope this is the right place to post...

I need to adjust an image for a child modelling agency. They require 546px (width) by 684px (height).

When I adjust the width to 546 the height becomes 470 and I cannot get it to exact measurements.

I don't have photoshop, Im using Preview on my macbook air.

Thanks in advance

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That is 4x5 proportion. Your image is 7 x 6. You need to crop the original image to that ratio but it sounds like you used a landscape orientation whereas they want portrait.

The numbers are very small so this must be for use in an on-line index or something - no good for a print.

3. Farah

Farah Member

Thanks Pete, really appreciate your advice.
    I need to take a few more head shots for the lad, any tips on getting it right in camera so that resizing afterwards is easier?

Thanks

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It depends on your camera - I didn't think anything other than film offered 7x6 so I am a bit confused as to where you are starting from. Most cameras are a native 3x2, some are 4x3. I think some mirrorless cameras do offer overlays of different aspect ratios.

If the agency do want a portrait portrait (i.e. with the longest side vertical) then you crop less if you use the camera that way around but you need to make sure that you don't fill the frame too tightly or the crop won't work. Be sure what it is that they want, landscape or portrait orientation.

Once you have cropped to the ratio you want then saving the smaller size is straightforward. Most programs I have seen use the terminology "export" to cover saving to another file format or image size. If you are doing agency work then you would be wise to buy an image processing program if the one supplied by the camera maker doesn't perform well enough. I've no idea what Apple provide - even though I'm typing this on a mac. I use Lightroom.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Then it's really easy...
    1. Make a copy of the file you want to edit.
    2. Open the copy.
    3. Select an area of the correct proportion with the mouse (the size of your selection is in the little box to the bottom right of the selection area while the selector arrow is visible (it disappears when you release the mouse).
    4. If you're not in edit mode click the up arrow in the circle to the immediate left of the text search box to get the extended tool bar.
    5. Click [Crop].
    6. Select Adjust Size on the Tools menu.
    7. Resize to the final dimensions.
    Close Preview and you have your copied picture ready to send.