1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to loose weight?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pete Bony, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

Well it's about time for me to loose some weight and get in trim ready for the Crown Green Bowling season. I am currently just a pound or two under 14 stone (in the morning) which isn't really too good for me as a 67 year old man that is only 5' 7" tall and has been warned that I am a borderline diabetic I would ideally like to get (Initially) to at least 13 stone but preferably 12.5 stone eventually. Unfortunately I see weight gain as a part of the aging process but we must be able to control it one way or another.
    I have currently got my wife cut down on all the portion sizes of my meals and I am eating more pasta than potatoes now (I actually love pasta meals and am willing to eat them at least three times a week) Our diet is fairly well balanced and when I fancy eggs (i.e.) for breakfast I have them either boiled or poached, not fried and any bacon I have (Which is quite rarely) I have cooked under the grill rather than in a frying pan, and I have stopped eating chips.
    I walk for about 90 to 120 minutes every morning with Harley and another 40 minute walk in the evening so exercise isn't really a problem.
    Do any of you guys (And gals) have any tips for helping to loose weight without harming your health by starving yourself please?

2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

You could push my bike up hills for me.:)

3. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

If you are eating pasta, supposedly reheating pasta that has been cooked then chilled reduces the amount of carbs your body absorbs.

From a BBC website:

It's called "resistant starch" because once pasta, potatoes or any starchy food is cooked and cooled it becomes resistant to the normal enzymes in our gut that break carbohydrates down and releases glucose that then causes the familiar blood sugar surge.

4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Current thinking, particularly for diabetics, seems to be that sugar, and foods that rapidly convert to sugar, are the problem, not fat. Which means pasta and potatoes are out, as are bread and rice and anything you know has sugar in before you start. I ate a very low carb, moderate protein diet before Christmas and I lost enough that people were commenting after only three weeks. Unfortunately, we hit a patch of not having any money and so I couldn't afford to not eat the stocks of pasta and rice that we had in the house already which means I've not been doing the no carb thing for about eight weeks now and I don't do enough exercise to combat the effects so I guess the intitial benefit has gone. I am gearing up to start again though because in spite of 'starving myself' by only eating 800 calories a day I wasn't in the least bit hungry - it's a side effect of ketosis apparently. And you don't only eat 800 cals for ever more, just for an initial period before doing that just a couple of days a week - but the no carbs thing is supposed to be permanent.

My favourite low carb meals were:

tomatoes, cooked in a little olive oil and lots of garlic, spinach, tin of tomaotes, eggs poached in the liquid.
    cauliflower, part steamed and then stirred into cream cheese/ricotta and baked for half an hour, served with greens
    huge great big bucket of lightly stir fried veg with ginger and soy sauce
    home made coleslaw, grilled halloumi, garlic tomatoes
    butternut squash and chickpea curry with yoghurt
    dahl with crunchy beetroot salad

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Try to avoid combinations of fat and sugar. Fat is the worst offender for easy calories. I know, I have a failing for butter that shows the teeth marks on toast of scones. Booze, of course is another culprit for hidden calories piling on the weight.

Hints?
    Smaller plates.
    Serving more veg, less meat.
    No snacking on cakes, buns, rolls or crisps.
    Have a glass of water instead of tea or coffee. You are less likely to want a biscuit!

Good luck.

dream_police likes this.
  6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

eat less, eat slowly, avoid carbs, try and stay off the beer.

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I used to say that things weren't buttered right if you couldn't see teeth marks. I have greatly reduced that though. Normally only a smearing of butter nowadays. I'm still overweight though and I really need to do something about it. I have no idea how much I weigh as we do not have any scales in the house. I always go by my belt buckle and which hole I need to use.

Catriona likes this.
  8. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I faced the same problem some years ago - I got up to 96 kilos, mainly due to hotel living, business entertaining, first-class air travel and no time to exercise. Food became a substitute for sleep. I then took a five year sabbatical and went sailing in the Greek islands and the Turkish coast - that got me down to 86 kilos, when I was also diagnosed as a borderline diabetic.

The line excised from your post above was what I did - all portions were down to 50 - 60% of what I ate previously. I am now down to 72 kilos and holding.

I do not think any of these fancy diets work, as soon as you come off them the weight tends to go straight back on. My regime was hard at first, but after a while my stomach shrank and I didn't want to eat much. My regime now is just a bowl of muesli for breakfast, a couple of digestives with a mid-morning coffee, a sandwich and fruit at lunch time, a slice of cake with afternoon tea, and then a main meal in the evening - but still a small portion.

As a result, my HbA1c blood tests are between 5.1 and 5.4 with no medication, my blood pressure has come down to a healthy range, and my cholesterols are reduced and balanced. Believe me, it really is worth making the effort to get one's weight reduced and under control. Forget the fancy diets and just eat smaller portions.

Catriona likes this.
  9. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I am not so sure. Every night when my wife and I sit down at around 19:00 to chat about the day, we both have a drink. I will either have two G&Ts and then a small beer with dinner, or one and a large beer. Still under 72 kilos at 5'10.5" - a shade over 11 stone.

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I wish I hadn’t read this whilst tucking into a Toby all you can eat breakfast.

11. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

At 4 weeks short of 85, 6' and 12s10lb I just eat what I want when I want it, only concession is sweetener in place of some sugar (about 2:1) apetite is not what it was so portions are smaller.

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Possibly eat what you normally eat, but less of it, plenty of fruit and vegetables. If you like chocolate/sweets restrict the amount you consume to little, the same with alcohol. I tend to believe that people can only stick to a regime that doesn't leave them longing for foods they enjoy, so eliminating those is likely to lead to early abandonment.

My weight tends to go up and down, but I pulled about 3 stones off and put about half a stone back on. Fortunately I am not a great eater of pastry, chips, or a drinker, my only real food vice is chocolate and I love quite a number of fruits, but hate Kiwi Fruit, dreadful stuff.

13. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Diets are for those who are thick and tired of it.

Geren and dream_police like this.
  14. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Stay off processed foods too. Ready meals are killing the nation and apparently over 50% of everything that goes in our food shopping in the is now processed.

Catriona likes this.
  15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Yup! That’s a fat all right. :cool:

16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye, little and often works for me too.

One habit to avoid is snacking whilst watching TV in a warm house....that is a fantastic way to store energy. Athletes call it carboloading and resting before a big event but others just call it normal.

17. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

I'm going to be sixty this year. I have been going to the local fitness establishment
    and riding the exercise bike for 20 minutes five times a week during the winter months.
    I have lost 28 pounds in the last two winters. I still eat the same fairly healthy diet and I like my beer.

My wife has an exercise bike but I find going to the gym works better for me.
    It's nice to watch all the fit young women working out in their skin tight sweat suits while I'm pedaling away.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  18. miked

miked Well-Known Member

A fat worse than death?

19. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Eat an apple every afternoon :)

20. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...