1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

How to frame with a blurry edge (PSE 13)

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Rupert49, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

I've done this in the past, but the last time was ages ago and I cannot for the life of me remember how I did it!

I have a nice photo of a neighbour's much loved (now sadly deceased) terrier. I want to make an oval crop of his head and shoulders with the background going out of focus at the edges of the frame.

I currently use PSE 13 and I've looked under all the Effects/Graphics/Favourites in the right hand column of the screen, but there's nothing there that jogs my memory.

Can anyone remind me how it's done, please?

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, use the elliptical select button, with as much feathering as you need, invert the selection and use the blur option in the filters menu?

3. Rupert49

Thanks Steve,

I've looked into that but can't seem to remember how to make a selected outline remain on the screen whilst the unwanted bits are deleted.

I had wanted to post a 2008 picture of my daughter's cat, which I'd prepared for her in its memory using just the technique I'm trying to describe. However, it seems that Photobucket has gone all 'no freebies anymore' since I last used it and I really don't want to pay for the occasional facility of being able to post a picture on here.

Is there a way in AP Forum that we can just copy'n'paste a photo from our hard drive straight into a post? That would be so much simpler!

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Use upload a file. There are size restrictions I believe. Flickr still has free membership option. AP galleries are an option too. I’ve not used them.

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Two ways.

1. open the file in an image editor, select the entire image, choose copy, and then in the forum post, choose paste.
    2. click the upload a file button, find the file on your disk, and then click the Full Image button.

In both instances, the file must be 1MB or under in size (harder to work out when just copying and pasting from an image editor).

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Actually, maybe 3 ways, let's see if drag and drop works.

Yep, drag and drop, and then choose Full Image (skips the 'upload a file' button).

7. Rupert49

Thanks Everyone for your advice on pasting a picture on here. Below is a reduced size image (400x500px) to illustrate the look I'm after, except that I can't remember how I did it back in 2008, so if anyone can give me any pointers, bearing in mind that I don't play around with layers and I only have PSE 13. Thanks.

IMG_1566c_reduced px.jpg
    This was Frank, my daughter's beloved rescue ginger cat, who underwent a forequarter amputation to treat cancer. He lasted another 18 months and she still has this portrait of him in her house to this day. There have been numerous other 'rescues' since then, currently three enjoy her hospitality!

8. Rupert49

Just in case anyone is still checking this thread ... a good friend of mine sent me this link to a YouTube tutorial. Turns out Rick Peterson has a very busy and comprehensive website of PSE tutorials which are accompanied - if you want - by a full written illustrated version of the video.

I have now managed to achieve what I wanted:

AX2A7013_edited-3 (reduced).jpg AX2A7013_edited-3a.jpg

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.