1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to clean old transparencies?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by nf3996, Aug 18, 2013.

1. nf3996

nf3996 Well-Known Member

I've recently been going through my late parents' large collection of colour transparencies, many dating form the 1950s and 1960s. Most are still in excellent condition (especially the Kodachromes), but a number have developed fungus or crazing on the emulsion side. There are a few local views of places that have completely changed, which I'd particularly like to scan. As (bad) luck would have it, however, several of these slides are amongst the infected ones - a mixture of Kodachrome, Agfacolor, Gevacolor and Ilford. Is there a way of removing or reducing the fungus, or of stopping it spreading across any further across each slide?

All suggestions welcome,

Alan

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

This has come up before. I searched the archives but there was no definitive answer. It was said that cleaning could worsen the condition. It was suggested to scan now and see whT could be done with photoshop. Suggest to separate the infected slides from the others. I was suprised to read that slides could be damaged by water whereas I'd have expected them to be, like negatives, easily washed.