1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much bandwidth should I budget for using an x box?

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by willie45, Jan 1, 2008.

1. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Happy New Year to everyone :)

I have recently switched ISPs and am wondering which package I should buy. I don't use a lot of bandwidth really but my partner's son uses an x box to play online games. Does anyone have an idea of how much this uses up per hour?

Thanks

Willie

2. liamjames91

liamjames91 Well-Known Member

i would think its quite alot, did a quick google for xbox bandwidth use and people seem to say just get unlimited or a big limit in the region of 40gb, how much were you paying a month before? and who have you swithed to? may i ask? :)

3. willie45

Hi Liam

I had my connection free as part of my Orange phone package and have now ended that. I am moving to Nildram who I was with before and found to be very good. I don't believe they do unlimited packages mind you.

I had a look around and some people seem to think usage is as little as 15mb an hour on the x box while others estimate anything up to 100mb if you are hosting the game.

I will just have to go for a month and monitor my usage to determine the amount I need I suppose.

Thanks for your help

Willie

4. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I've never had any issues and I have 2 360's running online at once. I think where you need to be more carefull is with downloads more than playing onine. Most of the demos are 700mb-1.2 gigs and now with downloadable games and films this would pobably be more of a consideration than playing online.

5. NorthernMonkey

NorthernMonkey Well-Known Member

playing online uses about 20k/sec so 1mb every minute. 1gB in 100hrs of play.

If you download stuff, like movies or games, this can increase massively

6. willie45

Thanks for the tips folks. He seems to have managed to use 2.9 GB in one day. Apparently he was hosting a game. Anyway I will chat with him this evening and find out exactly what caused this massive amount of usage

Willie