1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

How Many Cameras Have You Got?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by GPhotographic, Jul 14, 2010.

1. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

It's age related. Cameras are an accumulation - not a collection.

The mathematical formula for how many cameras you need is : x=n+1

Where n is the number you have already.

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yes, I can see how that works. I'm currently on the look out for a digital compact, or compact system that will fit in my every day bag and negate the need to agonise over whether or not to cart the DSLR! Trouble is, the one I want, doesn't really exist. At a price I like.

3. johncb84

johncb84 Well-Known Member

Nikon D7000
    Nikon D40
    Kodak Z740
    Olympus OM20

4. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I got all excited when I saw this thread. I thought Mark had returned, and Barney. Then I checked the date :eek:

I have two DSLR cameras ( no longer Canons ), a couple of film SLRs and a TLR ( which I still haven't used since my last posting on this thread ) Cameras don't interest me in the way they do some others on the forum. I'd flog these if it was worth the effort for the return I'd get.

I am not a techie so the gadgetry side of things doesn't bother me, and while I can appreciate the feel of something like my long - sold OM-1, I have no interest in "vintage" or "classic" cameras either.

If I won the lottery, the only items I'd ever be tempted to collect would be guitars and pianos. As I have yet to win the lottery, I currently don't have the space, money or time to do that either ;)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

SLRs
    Canon EF,
    Pentax MX (The real one, not this johnny-come-lately fake)

DSLRs
    Canon 5D,
    Canon 550D (Mainly for movies)
    (May add a Canon 1100 for Astro)
    Olly E20 (Is it DLSR or Bridge or neither?)

Film compact
    Olly Mju, a pressie from mum, really must get round to using it again.

MF
    Mamiya Press Super 23
    Ensign Selfix 820

LF
    MPP Microtechnical Mk VII
    Arca Swis 10x8 monorail

And that's about it.

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

This thread is three years old and I now have three more cameras than in post no 16 - seems perfectly reasonable to me

Roger

7. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

2 I will get my coat.....

8. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

.....and pop out to buy another?

9. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Only 3 now, but I have had about 50 over the past 12 years!

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

5...........2x Olympus OM-1, 3x Praktica TL1000....and they all work, although the Olympuses actually need to go for a check-up.

11. LesleySM

Not right now...

However I have remembered there is an old 35mm film camera on the bookcase and a Kodak digital in the house though they're Dave's not mine but we could boost that to a more respectable 4 and if video cameras were allowed he's got 2 so 6 in house but only 2 are mine (3 if I'm allowed to count the camera on my phone?)

And I am thinking about getting a decent bridge.........

12. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

If I were you I would count them all - after all you have the use of them. Personally I have three that are not really mine, one belongs to a long dead great grandfather and two more to a dead uncle. I know I legally own them but mentally they are only on loan!

Roger

13. LesleySM

Um 3 then- the others are Dave's and I got back into photography when we were going to a festival and I asked if I could borrow his Kodak (which btw he never carried and I ended up taking shots for him) and got told "NO" 'cos "You might lose it". Then realised that even if I persuaded him to let me take it, every 20 minutes or so he'd ask if I still had it. I got my own compact for the festival since otherwise after he'd asked if I'd lost his camera yet and I should check my bag to make sure and bring it out to prove I hadn't lost it every 20 minutes for a few hours...to put it politely the next shot on the camera would have been of his rectal mucosa 'cos I'd have shoved it up his ar*e

14. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I still say... see my signature line

15. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Never has there been a more appropriate moment to use...

ROFLMAO!

Me, I got bored one day and drew up a list. Two don't count as they are in pieces for spares, but if I count the little camera obscura I think the figure is now 71. Eek!

Adrian

16. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

More to the point what was Ben Myerson doing 3 years back in posts? If we say something bad about him, will it take him 3 years to spot it? ;)

17. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Aah, I like that. A sort of Zen camera cupboard.

As ownership is only a state of mind I cannot possibly have too many. I shall remind myself the next time I open the camera cupboard door and stuff falls out!

:rolleyes::eek:

18. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Just looked back to my first post in this thread back in July 2010, and I see that since then I've inherited a working Olympus AZ-100 film compact, and a couple of non-working Minolta film SLRs - XG5 and XD9. So the total is now 9 working and 6 non-working, and I'm thinking of trying to get hold of a Pentax MX.

19. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

UPDATE

Nikon D7000
    Minolta AF7000
    Minolta AF5000
    Nikon F401 (I have two, although not sure why. They're horrible things).
    Yashica 124G TLR
    Canon Ixus 115 (the Pentax Optio was borrowed, and returned not working. Not their fault though, obviously)
    Fuji Z35 (nice and small, and a lovely shiny blue. The auto white balance is shonky though).
    Pentax ME Super
    Olympus 35RC
    GB Kershaw 110
    Kodak 127 Brownie
    Some garish coloured le clic disk cameras that look cool

One of the Canon T70s has been retired after it went for a swim.

I've also picked up a second Fuji 2MP compact the same model as my first, and they're now stuck together for some cheap 3D shenanigans.

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I have revised my list...and believe it or not I have traded in and out at least 20 cameras since the list was first made
    1 DSLR (GX20), Canon Powershot SX150, Fuji 2950, Samsung WB600 (almost knacked) Pentax Optio W60 (knacked)
    2 Canon EOS 300 film SLRs, 2 Chinon 35EE, 2 (anybody spotting a pattern here) Olympus mju II zoom 80s...and a Samsung HMX U20 HD video camera that takes stills.
    So I'm down to 13...if I include my S3 mini smartphone....:eek: