1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I disable AF when set to Manual?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by Catriona, Mar 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I have the LX100 model and am happy with it until I select Manual mode on the switch at the side. I then find that auto focus still kicks in and I'm afraid I don't know what I have set up to make this happen.
    Is there a way to be on Manual setting and not have AF kick in when I half press the shutter?

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Do you have the manual Kate?

If not https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/104082.pdf

Page 48

Of course it could be something else, but I used a camera the other day and for the life of me I couldn't figure out either MF or turning off IS on a camera I've had for years and had to check it out.

Catriona likes this.
  3. Catriona

Thanks Nige. I suspect I'm not using the AE/AF options correctly.

I have found a useful get-out as it happens! When set in Manual mode I adjusted the focus to be out of focus, then instead of pressing the lock button, I accidentally pressed the iA (intelligent auto) button instead. The result was what I was looking for. Ha! I wanted to find a way of deliberately taking an oof picture and doing this seemed to kick off the auto focus action.
    It's not something I want to do a lot of, but it bugged me that I couldn't find a way to cut off that AF even in manual setting.

4. Catriona

I am embarrassed that I didn't think of what the camera is set on. I assume setting it to aperture mode defaults to certain other settings too which I can't override. Still, as I said, it#s not something I want to do often (oof image) and kicking it on to iA when the shutter is half pressed gives me a result I can use in the future (backgrounds, playing etc) so I'll live with that.

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Funnily enough, I have just been out with my Panasonic and put on my Olympus lens. It would not go into autofocus at all. For the life of me I couldn't see how to turn it off manual. I put another lens back on it and the camera was definitely set to AF. Looked all over the lens, no switch for M/AF. Put it back on and it was AF, so assume it was a contact problem.
    Today has shown one thing though. I do have a problem. It is incredibly difficult to remove lenses from the camera. Something is sticking. It is harder on some than others. Putting them on is easier but not as smooth as it should be. They should just slide and click into place. Nothing looks damaged or bent in anyway. The camera as far as I am aware has not been dropped.

Catriona likes this.
  6. Catriona

I do remember that problem on my Nikon when I was in a shop considering a new lens. I remember when it was really grinding when I trried to use it (in the shop) I handed it over and the guy used some force to get it in place. After he removed it, I simply said no thank you! Didn't buy it. Something was definitely not right.

7. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I’ve just noticed this exchange. I don’t think I’ve ever used MF on my LX100 - I rarely use it on my D800, as I got out of the habit when I lost the focusing aids that my MF only Pentax Super A offered. I often carry my LX100 when poor weather or lack of likely subjects makes me doubt whether I’ll use the D800, as it’s much easier to pull the LX100 out of an inside jacket pocket than carry the weight of my backpack, particularly if I need to remove the waterproof cover to get at the camera. But leaving it for those conditions means that I take few photos with the LX100.

Reading your post, I thought I should find out how to use MF on it, just in case.

Planning for autofocus, the obvious way to set up my LX100 was to use the control ring as a zoom ring, but I found its response dreadfully laggy compared to the manual zooms on all my other kit (including the Fujifilm X10 I bought the LX100 to replace). It doesn’t help that it only zooms in discreet steps rather than allowing me to make precise adjustments. These issues made trying to zoom that way frustrating, so it seemed easier to stick to the zoom lever, and I allocated ISO to the control ring. (I usually use Auto ISO; I’d like to use “Intelligent ISO”, but that option has so little respect for my intelligence that it won’t display the ISO it’s planning to use.)

Anyway, I picked up the camera, switched it to MF, turned the control ring without thinking, and the camera changed focus! I half-pressed the shutter button, and focus didn’t alter, although when I set a small aperture, a half press caused things to appear to sharpen up as, unlike a DSLR that’s not on live view, it displays the reduced depth of field.

When I moved the control ring it automatically magnified the view around the focus point, so I should be able to focus manually fairly accurately if I want to!

Chris

Catriona likes this.